Fav Studio Nearfield Monitors???

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Apr 28, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

its time once again to beat a familiar topic to death. and while i did a few searches in the archive, i'm thinking it'd be nice to see how you guys are doing "longterm" with your fav monitors.

also, FWIW, i'm looking for a new setup myself. been using a cheapie pair of M-Audio's i got in a trade, and while they've been strangely pretty good, i've eyeing a pair of Adam ANF10's or Mackie 624's for my small, and cramped desktop.

at any rate, what's been working for you these days? and if you own more than one set, what other set of monitors do you use with your mains?
  2. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    i've bought a pair of adam ANF-10 and i'm pretty happy with them.
    they have a slight mid bump but i think they're as good as you can get for that kind of money (paid about $500 for a pair). great imaging.

within the "desktop price range" you'll have to make some compromises, of course, so it might be kind of choosing "the lesser evil". ;)
  3. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I've got some Tapco S5's I'm pretty happy with.
  4. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    There are two camps with this that I know of: "good sounding" nearfields, and "bad sounding" nearfields. You can get a really full sounding pair of nearfields and they are not as fatiguing to mix on, or you can get something like NS10s and have the useful frequencies laid bare but they don't really sound great. In fact they sound bloody awful. But no matter what you pick you will end up learning to translate between the sound of your monitors and the "real world" sound. I like to think of the monitors as an inspection device, not as a listening device.

I've been using a set of Tannoy Reveals for a long time and am used to them. I hear what I need to hear and move on. But I don't try to get the track sounding great through them. I get the balance right and then take my mix to a few home systems, my car, my ipod... and make a list of what I'd like to change.

More of a rant than a recommendation. Sorry.
  5. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    ...but a very good rant which deserves to be in every "What monitors should I get?" thread.
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yep they're raspy little buggers aren't they. Every studio under the sun had them, so everyone was expected to use them. The trouble is, they weren't even designed to be studio monitors. The original design brief for the NS10 was as a TV speaker. I kid you not. Yamaha then gave them away to all the major studios and before long, people were saying "all the big studio's use them and so will I".

The first time I heard them in action was at a small studio and the speaker builder in me was busting to open it up and attenuate the tweeter, or maybe ad a notch filter to get rid of the harshness. But to suggest such a thing was met with death stares and cries of "but all the big studio's use them".

Back on track - I've always said the best monitors are the ones with which your ears are intimately familiar. If that happens to be my home-made 4" + tweet speakers with a seperate 2x10 sub, then so be it. I pull better mixes on this than I ever could with NS10's.
  7. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    It should be noted that the room you're using is just as important as the speakers. Your super whiz bang Genelecs aren't going to do you much good if you're in an 8x8x8 concrete room with nothing but you and a desk.
  8. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    That's when the old 'tissue over the tweeeets' comes into play :D

I've been using a pair of Alesis Monitor Ones for about 5 years or so with good luck. Like any set of monitors, you have to learn how they sound in your room and make adjustments from there. The monitor ones are ported in the rear so they seem to work best if you put some space between them and the wall behind them.

One of my buddies just picked up a pair of Mackie HR824s. They carry a heavier price tag than a lot of things on the market, but boy do they sound good.
  9. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    The entire NS10 story is so funny it's sad. Everyone had 'em, but everyone hated 'em.
  10. MaHei

Dec 24, 2002
    Dynaudio BM6, don't use them for mixing though. They're part of my stereo in a small room. Really like them.
  11. rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Klein+Hummel O-198 3-way actives No longer made the newer model is called O-300D had mine for over 5 years, I'll take these to the grave with me, I tried everything in the $1000 - $5000 range and nothing comes even close in accuracy. It took me more the a two months to convince the guy to sell it. After he finally caved in, I found out he only sold it because he bought some farfield Quested from Boyz II Men studio.

About the Adam monitors you really must listed to get an idea of the ribbon tweeter sound. You either love it or hate it. ANF10 is passive model so you'll need an amp. I would recommend a Sequerra 7.7 these are like NS-10 very honest without the fatigue factor.

12. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    anyone have any experience with the JBL LSR6300 series? i like their idea of the "Room Mode Correction" system. anyone use it?
  13. I use JBL control 1s for the minute amount of recording I do, they are mainly my hifi speakers, sound excellent for the money!
  14. rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Try JBL LSR25P or LSR28P.

15. kalle74

Aug 27, 2004
    genelec s30´s, Event 20/20bas, dynaudio bm6´s... all very nice, though different...
  16. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    What's the deal with the Room Mode correction system? How does it work?
  17. are the m audio bx5 's any good
    ...any comments on the sbx m audio sub also?
  18. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

They's Great! Exspecially for he money.

Personally I love the Mackie 824's (BASS!)\\

19. My ears are accustomed to NS10's and yes, Petebass has the correct info about the original design for NS10's; they were not really made for studio use but quickly became the standard and many old timers such as myself have become very familiar with their sound, therefore we can trust our ears in any situation using NS10's.

I also use a set of aurotones, they give me an idea what my mixes will sound like for TV productions.
  20. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    I really like the Mackie 828's, pretty affordable, comparably, and give an acurate sound.

Also the M-audio BX8's are great for the money. I use them daily and although I have a pair of 7506 for reference I find them pretty good to mix on.