1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Favorite amp manufacturer...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by smithy78, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Marshall

8 vote(s)
    5.1%
  2. Messa

30 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. Roland

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  4. Laney

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  5. Other (please specificy to kill others curiosity,thanks)

115 vote(s)
    72.8%
  1. smithy78

smithy78

Mar 15, 2009
    Hey, I made a similar poll for bass manufacturers, thought I would do one for amps too. As I said with the guitars, I realise most manufacturers make good and bad amps, but try your best to pick your favorite... Thanks...

2. Laredo

Laredo

Nov 27, 2005
    Upstate, NY
    Epifani, followed by Markbass..............Those are the only ones I need, and have helped me cure my Amp G.A.S. so far! :)

3. Carvin. Great AMERICAN made equipment at a reasonable price point. They are the mainstay of my equipment! Amps and guitars.

Paul

4. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I've run what seems like dozens of rigs, but in my current band I run a Peavey Bam 210 through a Carvin 115. 500 watts of 2 ohm goodness.

5. esmtll

esmtll

Jan 10, 2009
    Vermilion, OH, USA
    Why did you pick those 4!? They don't even represent the most popular/common brands (as made obvious by your poll results). Personally, I don't think I'd ever even think about plugging into a Marshall, Roland or Laney, let alone make it my favorite.

6. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Gallien-Krueger. Sweet, sweet bassy goodness.

7. Jimi1976

Jimi1976

Sep 17, 2006
    Chicago
    EDEN

8. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    lol, this is like saying WHICH IS THE BEST BASKETBALL TEAM IN THE WORLD? Nuggets, Heat, Bulls, 76ers, or anyone else?

9. As with your choice of bass manufacturers, very odd choices. Serious question, and not meaning to be condescending, but have you been playing long?

10. smithy78

smithy78

Mar 15, 2009
    I have no being playing long at all. I am mainly a guitarist but I recently got into bass. The fact that I am so clueless on the matter is part of the reason for starting the polls.

11. fourfinger

fourfinger Gold Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2003
    Central Ohio
    I own Mesa and Carvin...

Mesa may be the best tone I will ever own...

But, I still voted Carvin, because it took me 20+ years to find a nice used Mesa I could afford. (Also because my particular Mesa, a Venture "2-by-Ton" combo, bothers me whenever I have to lift it.)

I especially liked the Carvin power amps I used to own. They have extremely low THD. You can own a legitimate thousand-watt rig on a budget when you have a Carvin power amp at the heart of it. You can tailor the tone any way you like by trying out various preamps. There is no substitute for power.

And the reliability and solid power of my very old Carvin Pro Bass 500 head cannot be ignored, either. It is still a very serious and nice-sounding amp, even though I don't gig with it anymore.

12. Ex-guitarist here. The problem with your polls is going to be that you're not likely to get much true information out of them. On each one you've listed only one prominent manufacturer in the bass world (and Mesa is on the tail end of prominence as far as bass gear goes, even though it is great stuff) so your polls will be heavily skewed towards one manufacturer and "other".

Best thing would likely be to read existing threads and check out some of the "club" threads where various brands are discussed in depth if you're looking to find individuals' preferences.

And welcome to TB!

13. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    For Hiwatt clean headroom, Live at Leeds tones-Vintage Hiwatt or Reeves
    For the best hand wired Marshall Circuits. Reeves, Reinhardt, Germino, Metro, /13, Aiken
    Best AC 30 style tones with far better reliability, Bad Cat, /13, 65 Amps, Top Hat, dAAb,
    Fender circuits, so many! /13, Two Rock, Category 5, Bad Cat, Bruno, too many to remember.

14. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    I have no favorite amp company. I have seen many nice amps from the humble and sturdy; yet toneful, on up to the cream of the crop, made by different amp makers.
    I've played through a lot of different amps and brand names over the years to realize that most of the major amp builders have produced some great gear, as well as stuff in their product line that wasn't so good. Thankfully there have been more decent to great amps made, than truly awful ones.

15. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Aguilar and Mesa Boogie

16. bfc

bfc

Feb 15, 2008
    Fenton, MO
    +1

Carvin rocks my socks!:hyper:

I just got done recording in Nashville with a grammy award-winning producer (Bill Whittington--Amy Grant, Gladys Knight, Mercy Me, Faith Hill, Building 429, Wynonna Judd, etc.), and he loved the straight neck of my Carvin B5. It sounded great all the way up the fretboard and it sounded great (it cut through the mix quite well). Carvin is superior to numerous bass and bass amp brands. Now I just need to get my hands on a Carvin bass rig!:bassist:

17. To satisfy a yen to build a bolt on bass I assembled what amounts to a B5 from Carvin parts. I had them Tung oil the neck and body and ended up with a beautiful and light five string. I also have three Carvin Sixes. :)

I really think Carvin should produce a tube pre-amp to go along with their DCM series of power amps. They have tube amps for guitar players so why not something for we bottom dwellers!

Paul

18. Ampeg (SLM)

seriously though, what were you thinking when making this pole. ROLAND?!? and Laney?? I know some like laney, but those two are there and Ampeg, MarkBass, Aguilar (spelling?), Eden weren't.

19. Beyer160

Beyer160

Dec 20, 2008
    NC
    Ampeg, circa 1960-1979

20. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Amps:

Mesa
    Genz-Benz
    G-K