1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Favorite Gibson bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skullheadrac, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Skullheadrac

Skullheadrac

Jun 13, 2018
    So Cal
    Alright, here goes...
    I've yet to really hear a Gibson Bass I like. I'm usually a Fender Jazz kinda guy (for hard and heavy stuff). So who all out there is a Gibson fan and which models are generally the favorites?
    From YouTube, the only model I've heard a demo of that sounds good for what I like is the Victory model.

2. Flat-N-Round

Flat-N-Round

Jun 30, 2020
    I’m a Gibson fan. Check out Nick Movshon and his Gibson Ripper.

3. If you're a Fender player Gibsons are an acquired taste like Rickenbackers. I like EB-2's when the internal choke is disconnected, they are really nice playing basses. I like them all though, i also own a T Bird and an EB-3. I've never played a Victory but they are supposed to be very Fender-like.

Giffro, MCF, Mastermold and 8 others like this.
  4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    ^^^^Agree with @bobyoung53 that it is like anything, acquired taste. The ones I've played were generally well made and the T-Birds are super cool, they have a great rock'n'roll rumble. They are large and not super light but who cares. They fit into a niche and have a cult following. I owned a Ripper and it played really nice. Never owned a Thunderbird but I have played many on loan and would buy the right one because they are cool.

MCF, Ggaa, EatS1stBassist and 3 others like this.

5. I bought a new Limited Edition T-Bird a few years ago, it's actually very light and has no neck dive, it was the nicest made brand new bass I've ever bought, it was almost perfect when it came in. I bought the Ebony and almost bought a Cherry the ebony was so nice. I put chrome Mike Lull pickups on mine.

BAT4318C7BC1_FINISHES_FAMILY.jpg

6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    My favorite Gibson is an Epiphone Thunderbird...Classic Pro.
    Had one. Shouldn't have sold it.
    I wouldn't mind one of the new Vintage Pros, either.
    Check this out...he starts playing at 3:55.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  7. Clipped

Clipped

Aug 9, 2014
    Jersey
    BF5EAB98-2589-4E54-8E03-56A55747B623.jpeg
    I like this one a lot.

Had a 2013 EB. Defretted it, then regretted it. Those pickups were smokin' hot.

8. I like the G3.

uwe_hornung82G-3.jpg

I want a NonReverse T-bird.

9. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    There's very little similarity between various Gibson basses in general. Old EBs sound nothing like a Ripper which doesn't resemble the RD and the Victory is a whole another ballgame. Let's not even touch the Birds.

To a Fender player, I'd recommend trying out the 2013/14 Gibson EB which is arguably the least conventional Gibson in terms of sound and feel. Excellent and underrated instruments IMO.

I'm not sure that I have a favourite model when it comes to Gibbys. But the bass in my avatar - a modded and molested '69 EB-0 - gets buried with me.

10. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Well...
    For a company that was founded by a left handed man, Gibson has never been in the forefront of offering instruments to leftys. And that applies - in SPADES - to basses. Until not too long ago, any lefty Gibson bass - regardless of model - was a one-off custom, which means that it's stupid expensive - if and when it ever comes up for sale. Gibson does make lefty basses now; but, only every 5 years or so, and only a few models. The last 2 times (2013 and 2018) they didn't advertise them, and the list price was... let's just say, rather excessive. Even compared to a right handed model of the same bass.. Which is a roundabout way of saying that my favorite Gibson bass is driven by what I'm able to buy, as much as what I really like. However... I do like Thunderbirds, and I've managed to get my hands on two of them;
    '13 Thunderbird.JPG '18 T-Bird front.JPG a '13 and an '18. And, so far? The '13 is my favorite - but, only because it's Roto 77LDs are broken in, and the Dogal R44 flats on the '18 are not. They might change places, but... who knows? I would like Gibson to offer me a lefty Midtown Standard bass, though - and, Pelham Blue would be very nice, too...:whistle:

11. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,

My fave Gibson is my good ole Black 76 Thunderbird that I've had since new.

Rezdog

JELLIS78, ThinCrappyTone, dmt and 3 others like this.
  12. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Really good point. Their basses are all different from each other. That separates Gibson from some other major brands. Birds are kinda badass.

Thegrandwazoo and DrThumpenstein like this.
  13. BB Brian

BB Brian

Apr 15, 2020
    West Texas
    I've never had a chance to play one personally, but I really like the Thunderbird. I would definitely like to acquire one in the future.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  14. Tubehed

Tubehed

Oct 27, 2011
    EB3/SG all day long

15. s_wood

s_wood Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Delaware (USA)
    To my ears, the Gibson that sounds the most like a 70’s ash-body Jazz bass is the G-3. Especially if you play with a pick...the G-3 growls for days.

But ir’s really true that the various Gibson basses don’t sound much like each other. The Ripper, G-3 and 60’s or 70’s reissue T-Birds are my favorites. I own all of those, and I can tell you that they don’t have a lot in common with each other. And none of those sound anything like the short scale EB basses. Which is a good thing - variety is good!

RedVee likes this.
  16. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    EB-11 all day long

bobyoung53 likes this.
  17. BB Brian

BB Brian

Apr 15, 2020
    West Texas
    What do you think of the current Epiphone Vintage T-bird? That tobacco burst is just so tempting.

s_wood likes this.
  18. s_wood

s_wood Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Delaware (USA)
    Like them! The Epi Vintage sounds a lot more like the original 60’s T-Birds than anything else Gibson has been made. Unlike Gibson, Epiphone actually tries to copy the pickups and they came reasonably close.

19. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Hey Bob! Any chance you have audio of a disconnected choke? I have three Rivolis, ('65, 67, 96) and wonder if I should try it. And I agree, they play great, and I use mine a lot.

Steve Boisen and bobyoung53 like this.
  20. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    I'll answer the question although it wasn't addressed to me: killer basses, especially for the price. I bought one for my bass-playing-son but it got stuck due to the C-19 and ended up being returned...still on my shopping list.

A word about the Bird: make sure you try one before buying. Many people can't get along with their ergonomics. I never managed to become Bird-friendly although I love their sound and it sure wasn't for a lack of trying. My son plays it with the same ease as his P-Bass.

One Gibson bass I never laid my hands on but would love to try...Super 400 Fretless...

Super400close1500-300x300.jpg