Favorite Keith Jarrett Trio Album?

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Jake, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Jake

Jake

Dec 11, 1999
    Florida
    What is your favorite Keith Jarrett Trio (w/ Gary Peacock & Jack Dejohnette) Album??? I gravitate towards the older ones like my favorite, Standards in Norway.

I just bought Standards Live from the 80's a couple hours ago from iTunes, but haven't given it a good listen yet.

2. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    never heard of him~

3. billy ayers

billy ayers

Feb 1, 2009
    the first "Standards" is fantastic. i heard peacock give a lecture in which he discussed those sessions. great insights.

4. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    The album that he was on with Charles lloyd from 1968, had a major influence on me.......It might have been a live album but I'm sure Keith J. was on it....:cool:

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Pretty sure it's mutual.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I prefer the albums with Jan Garbarek...:p

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Standards Live. That version of Stella is gorgeous, especially the introduction.

8. Yes, plus the mouth is at the minimum.
    Here...........

You guys know of Flip?

9. Peder Waern

Peder Waern

Feb 17, 2009
    Sweden
    Don't miss the early Keith Jarrett trio stuff with Paul Motian and Charlie Haden either. There's also a record in Gary Peacocks name (forgot the name) with Jack and Keith. Worth checking out. Other than that I think the first two Standards records and Standards Live is pretty nice!

10. MLysh

MLysh

Oct 11, 2007
    MD/DC/VA
    Hey Paul,

Isn't that Ron McClure with Charles LLoyd?

Also, I know about Flip from playing with Baltimore guitarist Walt Namuth. We use to play a bunch of his tunes. Very nice. I believe Walt knew Flip from time spent in San Diego, but I might be wrong about that.

p.s. After my original post, It came to me that that might be Peter Warren in the video clip. I always get those guys mixed up...

11. Man, thanks! Yeah, Ron.....whew, you saved me a sleepless night, because it got real old out, again. Ron had a huge, rich sound and just always played great stuff.
    Yeah, I brought Flip up for a year in Aspen in the mid 60's. I took Flip and Vince Guaraldi up skiing. They both went right off the lift together into a snow bank even after I gave them a lecture about keeping their ski tips up. They both came outta the snow bank with ice-cycles hanging from their mustaches.
    Great person, player, singer, and composer though he couldn't read one note of music. Sinatra recorded one of his tunes.
    Marcus, this was a bit before Buono's Aspen days I think.
    Are we OT? :meh:

EDIT: Yeah ML, all white bass players looked alike during those days.....tall, mustachio, beads.....etc. People used to think I was Monty Budwig and vicey versy.

12. Chris Symer

Chris Symer

Dec 13, 2009
    Seattle,Wa.
    I think Peacocks' sound was best on the early ones, although there is great playing to be heard on all of them. Standards Live has one of my favorite solos by Jarrett on Too Young to Go Steady.

13. doberman

doberman

Sep 16, 2009
    Maryland
    I love the Keith Jarrett At The Blue Note 6 Disc Set, even though it is a chunk of cash. I'm partial to Disc 4...but my favorite Keith Trio Album of all time is Life Between the Exit Signs with Charlie and Paul

14. I love the Blue Note Box set. Straight No Chaser and Autumn Leaves!!! Tokyo '96 is really good too.

15. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Oh yeah. I played with him a couple of times. One time was really funny; I was on a cruise ship band, where the basic job is to provide nice, safe, comfy Bb music for the mostly elderly patrons. One guy used to have a joke in his stand-up bit.... "It's strange playing on these ships, where the average age is 'deceased'."

So, in port in Honolulu, Flip showed up and we asked him to play one. He sat down and started some really mundane tune, I can't even remember what it was, but he was really behaving himself, playing in true shipboard schmaltz style. I was right next to him, and I could see that he had that look, and I thought "uh-oh". So he very subtly started to deconstruct the tune over about thirty choruses, gradually winding up playing one of the most abstract salsa montunos I've ever heard, just really out, and fantastic. The crowd didn't know whether to clap or grab the portable defibrillator. I remember the cruise director making little nervous circles around the band stand, looking at me (I was bandleader) to cut Flip off. Not a chance.... I just shrugged and said "That's Flip". :cool:

16. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Oh yeah, Keith trios, sorry..... :D

There's a live double CD recorded in Japan that I sometimes like to listen to, I think it's called "Always Let Me Go". No "tunes", just improvised from beginning to end. It's a bit unfocused in spots, but there are also sections of really beautiful interplay as well. Pretty intense at times, and unlike any of their other albums.

17. I like Yesterdays a lot...the trio is really swinging.

18. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    ... at the moment it's "at the deer heads inn".
    It changes on a weekly basis tho.
    Changeless is nice, so are many others.
    I do generally prefer Charlie Haden to G. Peacock, so I'd check out earlier albums as well as more recent ones.
    I really like The melody at night with you, a solo album.

19. Jake

Jake

Dec 11, 1999
    Florida
    I just bought Standards Vol. 1 and Standards Live.

20. Shovelbone

Shovelbone Gold Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Yonderville Georgia
    Check out the DVD Live at Open Theater East. I think its 2001 or 2002. I just scored it from Amazon and those guys just kill! I highly reccomend it!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021