FBass Finish Delemma Help!... big pics... sorry

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by puff father, Feb 19, 2006.

1. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    I have an F Bass BN5 on order. I selected Charcoal burst as the finish upgrade. Sounds good, then I get these! Pics of the body on my new bass!

I have decided on this color. Auburn burst. :) Gets sprayed tomorrow!

Hope you like it! I'm thinking that I will!
  2. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Wow, that's some beautiful grain.
    My vote--don't cover it up, it's too pretty.

Whatever you do, enjoy!

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I think you need to spend some time thinking about what you REALLY want. I personally wouldn't depend upon the opinion of a bunch of random viewers as to which body to take. Around here, I can tell you that "natural" will be a very popular choice, but I wouldn't be happy with it, if in my heart, I really wanted charcoal burst with maple fb.
  4. I would go for natural. Awsome grain :)
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Although im a huge fan of black, Id go with natural and get a dark fingerboard, maccasar ebony would be great.
  6. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Do what you feel is right for the bass and is what you'll be happy with further on down the line.

Also, maybe consider a transparent finish to show off that beautiful grain?

Whichever way you choose to go, I'm sure you'll have a beatiful bass that sounds and plays just as nicely as it looks. Good job going with Mr. F.

7. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    When you ask my opinion...I always dig a bass that looks like a coffee table! But, it's your bass. Only you know what you like best
  8. I myself would go ahead with the charcoal burst, but that's just me. I'm not too big on natural finishes.
  9. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    my f bass studio, which i have owned, since new, for 6 years its now starting to show wear and tear. the wood is wearing away on the bridge pickups cover, the finish is rubbibg off where my right arm comes over the body, there is paint wearing away on the pickups covers, there is finish wearing awawy in the d/g string area from thumping etc etc. but i'll never take it to George to get re-finished. i've always liked that old shool worn away fender look , and i figured i could have a bass like that if things keep going as they are. i think it really shows that u have commiteed to 1 instrument that u love, it plays and sounds the way u want it to. And it also shows u play tonnnessss

i love my bass
  10. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004

with an amazing grain like that, it would almost be a shame to cover that up. i say, get the grain enhancement, and throw some oil on her. that would be amazinggggg George gets some killer ASH down there.
  11. This is my thought too, the enhancement will make that grain pop.
  12. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    why not an ehanced black with a maple board?
    That would be very nice also!
    If it was me, natural, maple board with either black or chrome hardware.

But the black and maple would be a killer combo also.
  13. Peg_legs

Nov 19, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    no way would I cover that grain up. A low contrast grain enhancement with a transparent finish would work. I wouldn't go natural or too contrasty in the grain enhancement.

Best looking ash I've ever seen.
  14. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    It's your bass, but I've always been a fan of the Ceruse finishes and the translucent finishes, they show the grain and aren't as plain as natural, but as you can see, I'm in the minority here.
    Mine is Trans Blue BTW, and I didn't ask for an opinion.
  15. I'd go for a dark stain. Best of both worlds. Nice problem to have though..!!

Best of luck
  16. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I'd leave it natural with a grain enhancement, or if you're looking for the trans black look, I'd go with the Black/White Ceruse finish with the Maple board. I really think that looks classy, but that's just me.
  17. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Flip a coin and let the force decide.
  18. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Now that's what I'm talking about!
  19. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY

"Puff, I'm your Father..." DarthVadervoice_0
  20. alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    Umm, how about the old Mary Kay translucent blond with a flame maple board?