1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FCC At It Again! 600mHz going away...

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Geri O, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    ...in three years, roughly, if they follow through with their plan.

The details of how and why this is going on is waaay too deep to get into here. We've already lost the 690-800Mhz frequencies and it looks like the big-money people in communications want the the 600mHz frequencies as well.

All this to say, if you are buying RF devices (bass wireless systems, wireless IEM monitors), I'd stay away from the 600mHz stuff, or plan to give it up in 3 or so years. That time table is a moving target, but the last time this reared its ugly head, the big companies one (and CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox Sports, and all the big franchises that depend on those airwaves aren't??).

The Line 6 2.4 stuff looks better and better, although it has its issues with crowded airspace, too.

I encourage everyone interested in this stuff to look at the manufacturers' white papers (Shure, Lecctrosonics, Audio-Technica, Sennheiser, etc) on this subject and the arguments they try to present in our/their defense. I've not even skimmed the surface on this and I'm nowhere near an expert on the matter. Just be aware, it's coming...

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
    petrus61 likes this.
  2. actually the FCC opened up a whole bunch of new frequencies for wireless IEM systems, and also just put in place a new licenseing system for produciton companies to rent space if required...

i forgot where i read this specifically (it was an official site that much i do remember)...but i do remember reading this very recently...

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    It's all good. The needs of the many...

T-Bird likes this.
  4. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    I have a drummer buddy who has access to all the top gear you could need. He was laughing one day saying that they have to watch their IEM system because they get interference if they play close to fire and police departments etc. Will be interesting to see what happens with bandwidth issues in the future.

5. TV live report from the Rolf Harris trial had glitchy sound. They apologised saying there were too many wireless uplinks being used in a small area.

6. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Big Daws, I'd like to see the source of that story about the FCC opening up frequencies and licenses.

Well, me and a few thousand production companies that make their livelihood with wireless mics and RF IEMs. Because I'm certain we've heard no such story.

7. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I've always been a hardware/hardwire kind of guy. Give me a cable and a wedge monitor every time and I'm happy. The only wireless gear I own is a bluetooth keyboard for my tablet.

Wireless mics are OK, as are wireless IEMs. I use both quote often. We'll see how long the frequencies lasts. But I don't mind cables at all. I don't do enough stage gymnastics to justify a wireless setup for my bass. There are only so many frequencies. Eventually we'll run out, unless somebody comes up with an IPv6 for radio frequencies. ;)

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing more hard wired mics. Then we can get away from the chick singer on the trapeze and get back to real singers and musicians who play and sing great, instead of "performing" and "putting on a good show".

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

8. chienmort

chienmort

Aug 15, 2012
    In Europe the so called Channel 69 went a couple of years ago and all systems had to be changed to Channel 38.

Some systems worked on license free 863-865 MHz but this is shared with many other consumer devices and is threatened by increasing use of 4G cell phones (LTE). With 2.4GHz almost saturated maybe VHF is the way forward.

It ain't how low you can go but what you do when you get there!

9. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    That was my main decision to go with Line 6. So far, I haven't had any issues.

10. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Ahh, okay, thanx for providing that.

This is concerning the FCC allocating more spectrum for wifi uses. It might be a leap to assume that this band could be used reliably for wireless IEMs. For example, at our church, Line 6 RF units don't work at all because of all the wifi going on in the worship center (RF control of consoles, communication, and office and guest networks). I'd be scared to try IEMs in the 5gHz range. Have you seen manufacturers mention designing IEM units in this range? And I think, although I'm not sure, that distance in the 5gHz range could be a problem.

Interesting stuff, Bigs. Thanx for posting.

11. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

My favorite sound guy was just telling me about the Line 6 wireless unit. He said you can find really good prices on those units right now and they are really decent for the price. I love "bang for your buck" deals.

What's the model you're using? I'd like to do some research (just in case I ever feel the need to show off my gymnastics). ;) Thanks!

BassCliff

12. Surely, you aren't talking about this chick on a trapeze (see below). Check out her bass player. You'd be very lucky to fill those shoes. Frankly, Cliff, I'm a little disappointed in this comment coming from you. Sorry to hijack the thread.

13. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I'm sorry to disappoint. I guess my comment was a little petty. Yes, I was thinking of Pink's trapeze act. Listen to that video! Why does she need a trapeze? But there are other "performers" who cover up their mediocrity with all kinds of high tech antics and presentations. Perhaps that's what the public wants.

My mediocrity is right out there for everyone to see. ;)

BassCliff

Stealth Fighter likes this.
  14. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    There is lots of information at the fcc
    http://www.fcc.gov/document/fcc-adopts-rules-first-ever-incentive-auction
    There is even a button to "Take Action" Comment, Complain, Discuss, or write to your politicians.

IMHO - it's well thought out plan. Even for the small guy.
    Broadcasters volunteer to auction their bandwidth:

"600 MHz Band Plan: The Report and Order adopts a 600 MHz band plan that maximizes the
    value of spectrum to potential bidders and provides both larger and smaller bidders a fair
    opportunity to acquire spectrum."
    "1) The reorganized 600 MHz Band, including repacking and unlicensed operations;"
    "Consistent with the Spectrum Act, and recognizing that
    unlicensed spectrum is a catalyst for innovation that provides economic value to businesses and
    consumers alike, the Commission authorizes the use of these guard bands for unlicensed use
    nationwide."

15. Give it ten years and everything will be infra red or lasers.

16. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Here's the other side of that discussion from one of the most respected makers of RF equipment and who stands to be affected by the rules change (maybe not as much as users that have to replace equipment rendered unusable by the rule change, but I trust these guys as much or more than any other manufacturer of RF gear...)

http://www.lectrosonics.com/US/FCC-Updates/fcc-spectrum-updates.html

17. Hi.

That was promised already in the 80's :).
    Perhaps earlier.

Both IR and lasers and other THz applications "work" and there's tons of DIY applications and plans for the equipment, but one doesn't have to be an engineer to realise why it's not going to take over any time soon.

And...there's room in GHz region still.

Regards
    Sam

18. chienmort

chienmort

Aug 15, 2012
    There is a portion of the 5GHz band that was allocated for the use of Digital Radio Microphones to encourage the manufacturers to innovate.

It ain't how low you can go but what you do when you get there!

19. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    ...as well as how far you can the the signal to transmit (higher frequencies, short distance, and less ability to go through objects)...