1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fEARful Deluxe flat packs ordered

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gearhead1972, Oct 5, 2013.

1. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Feb 21, 2012
    Kent NY
    Well as some of you saw in my thread about my new BX1500, I wanted some fearfuls to go along with it. I didn't think I would be able to get them for a while. But I got an underpayment check from a company I worked for today and it just so happens to be my birthday...so happy birthday to me lol.:hyper: Ordered up a 12 sub and a 12/6/1 deluxe flat packs.

2. tonybassman

tonybassman

Jul 27, 2011
    Sub'd. I have a BX1500 and am considering flat packs. Please show your progress!

3. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Happy Birthday, indeed!

:bassist:

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Oh man, this is going to be cool! Happy Birthday and please please please document and post it all!

5. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Feb 21, 2012
    Kent NY
    Thanks guys, Just got an email from Leland that hes got some high priority stuff going on at the shop so these may take a few days longer to get out the door. No biggie I am sure they will be worth the wait. I will try to do a nice progress thread on these as I am sure a lot of people would like to do these. and I only really found the one done with a prototype a few years back.

6. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Right on. I've been debating between a 15/6 or mirrored 12/6 flatpacks. Definitely interested in how this works for you. Subbed.

7. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Assuming that was my thread, please note that the problems I had with warped panels were due to the type of plywood I requested. Because of my experience, Speaker Hardware only offers flatpacks with Baltic Birch plywood, which is a bit heavier than Arauco, but doesn't warp during shipping.

It's also worth noting that the flatpacks now incorporate pocket screws for some of the joints, making assembly quicker/easier.

There are many threads and discussions about assembling Speaker hardware flatpacks in greenboy's forum.
    http://greenboy.us/forum

8. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Feb 21, 2012
    Kent NY
    Yeah is was your thread, and I also did see the type of wood you asked for. So I am not worried about warping one bit.

9. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Feb 21, 2012
    Kent NY
    Just ordered a gallon of DuraTex, my plan is to paint the baffle a gray that is close to the gray of my BX1500, I have the BX1500 in the black 2u rack. I think this will look real good. I will grain fill, sand, prime and then spray that color on the baffles. Im off of work for a while so I plan on taking my time and doing this right.

Anybody know where everyone is getting those cool full size speaker grill material with the oblong holes?
    If not I think I am going to order 2 22" x 30" flat grill material with 8mm holes from Parts express. $60 but oh well. Just don't want the separate round speaker grill look for this one. That also means cutting some wood standoffs for the cabinets. Though I could go the Avatar route and use those rubber puck type standoffs. Lol I couldn't sleep last night thinking about these 2 builds.

10. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Dude,

You are giving me some potent gas! Congrats, and post pics please! Sure wish I could hear a GB, but there seem to be none near here.....bummer.

11. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I believe those grills you are speaking of are only avaliable via Authorized Builders.

Congrads on the fEARful builds. I have a 12/6 and 12sub and I am completely satisfied in every way. :bassist:

12. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Feb 21, 2012
    Kent NY
    So I have been busy gathering little bits and stuff for my build. My grill material just arrived, I haven't even had a chance to open the box yet. I also ordered 20 7/8" X .60 rubber feet to use as standoffs. Though I am still undecided on the wood standoffs around the perimeter of the baffle or the rubber ones. I may eventually end up with a hybrid, make the wood standoffs the same height as the rubber and just use a few rubber ones on the inside.

I spent some time at Home Depot and purchased some kilz latex primer, flat black latex, gray latex (smokey charcoal), spray adhesive, and some spackle. Some of you will think I am crazy, but I am going to go overboard on the prep work. I have refinished a number of guitars and will be trying to get a very smooth void free surface prior to coating the cabs with duratex and spraying the front baffles. I have one of those cheap wagner HVLP spray guns that sprays primer and latex wonderfully. I will be doing the inside of the ports with leftover black gloss porch and floor. Since this stuff will let me wipe dust out of the port easily, or allow the massive air flow blow it off easier lol.

I do have pneumatic finish guns for assembly, was planning on using the 15ga, but after reading that Leland uses a 23ga pin gun, I will be using the 18ga I have.

I am so excited about these builds, I even spent a couple of hours today cleaning out my basement and making some room for the bigger cabs.

13. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    18ga works great for birch. Really great.

14. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Feb 21, 2012
    Kent NY
    Oh I forgot, I saw in a post over at the GB forums where someone had a "Eminence Inside" badge on their cab. A few posts down a guy emailed Eminence inquiring about badges, He got two sent to him. Well I Emailed them last night and got an email this morning that my badges were on the way :)

15. Nice! , congrats on the fEARful choice. I've been saving up for a 15/6/1. ...and happy birthday!

16. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Great choice of cabs for that head. My stack is quite similar and I prefer to run mine in X-OVER mode to make use of the CROSSOVER knob.

:bassist:

17. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Feb 21, 2012
    Kent NY
    Yeah I will be using the amps crossover, like I am right now. Where are you setting your crossover point? right now I use about 140hz. I think the fearful 12 sub internal crossover is set around 500hz or so

18. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Feb 21, 2012
    Kent NY
    Just realized for smaller gigs I could just take my Carvin MB10 and the 12 Sub...Anyone hook one of the MB series up to a 12 sub, or 12/6?

19. Are you not running the internal cross overs?

20. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Feb 21, 2012
    Kent NY
    I will run the crossover in the 12/6/1 as it was intended. The 12 sub i plan on wiring one jack to the crossover, and the other jack wired for no crossover for when it is used with the active crossover in the BX1500