FEEDBACK!!! I am going crazy!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Flat Bass, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I just do not understand. I used to have a fishman pickup nothing but feedback and got rid of it. So I now have a K&K bass max and the K&K pocket blender preamp. What ever I use as far as amps different cabs or whatever it just crazilly feeds back. I just do not understand. I try positioning different and everything. Other bass players I know do not have this problem? HELP!!!!! Please!!!!! :spit:
  2. Fred W

Fred W

Feb 21, 2002
    Bronx, NY
    Have you had work done on this bass recently? Last winter I had big things done to my old Kay, the first gig was a feedback feeding frenzy. It slowly calmed down, took until the fall to really be acceptable.
  3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    A Lot depends on the bass. On my carved bass, which has a thick top, I've NEVER gotten any Bas Max feedback. On my American Standard (very thin top), the BM is prone to feedback. There are two things which helped:

1) Wrapping some sort of muting material between the strings at the afterlength. The easiest and best looking thing I've found is a strip of thick felt, wrapped fairly tightly and tied. This takes care of a lot of feedback problems.

2) As with any DB amplification system,it's a good idea to identify the frequencies that are feeding back, and then cut them before they have a chance to. With the Bass Max preamp, I usually cut the mid and high frequencies inside the pre pretty seriously. This has seemed to help a lot.

Good luck.
  4. Get yourself a stomp box EQ and dont leave home without it... :)
  5. Packinmn

Jun 21, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Patrick, I have recently tried this without much success. How far down on the tailpiece did you put the towel? I have mine rolled up somewhat neatly and placed near the bottom of the tailpiece. Should I have the towel looser? Should it be up higher to prevent more of it from vibrating?

Sorry for the inquisition, but I REALLY want this to work. Thanks for your help!
  6. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    The idea is to dampen the tailpiece and top of the bass, if that's what you need to do. A lot of guys use something along the lines of a Nerf football, or similar item that applies some pressure to the tailpiece and lower body.

If you bought the Bass Max from me you'll find tips on fighting feedback on the back side of the cherry red sheet included in the package.