1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Felix users! What pickup are you using?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Nathan Levine, Nov 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Anchorage, AK
    I have been using the Felix mostly with a Remic Red microphone. Sometimes a Troll or the Remic Green. But in general just microphones. When I first got my Felix I did a bit of blending with a Lifeline pickup. It sounded great and had plenty of output, but my amplification needs are pretty minimal so out of ease of setup I've gone with just the mic nearly all the time.

I've been messing about with the piezos again and have been surprised to find the output on the Lifeline is now woefully low. As in, I have to crank the gain all the way up to get any kind of signal. Seems like something went bad with my pickup. I bought another Lifeline here on TB to try out and same results. I then bought a Headway Band here and same results.

So that got me wondering if there is a problem with the Felix. That was answered by having a guitar player in my band staying after rehearsal last night, plugging a piezo equipped guitar in and having no problems at all.

What has me scratching my head is that my AI Clarus does just fine with the Lifelines.

So in a nutshell... what pickups are you using and getting good results from? Thanks!

2. Maple

Maple Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    The felix has some buttons in the back and side that are easy to bump when setting up and tearing down while also not being very obvious. I think there's a dB cut or line/mic button in the back for each channel input.

Also if you're using two inputs, you have to keep an eye on the phase buttons on the side - bump one of those and you'll potentially get a very different sound from your mix.

As for inputs - I think most people using the felix are blending a mic and a piezo.
    I'm using a yamahiko bridge pickup with an ischell contact mic.

The knobs on the felix can be intimidating. I ended up making a printable pdf to keep track of the different settings on mine.... just popped for a Yamahiko

I keep a printout in the felix bag and refer to it often.

Another trick - the input gain knobs are super easy to bump and change. The other knobs on mine seem to be fairly stiff to operate (which is good). So I removed the input gain knobs and put wafers of neoprene rubber under them. Now, they're harder to mess up when packed.

3. Nathan Levine

Apr 25, 2008
    Anchorage, AK
    There is definitely a line/mic button for Ch 1 but I am pretty sure no db cut button. Will look closer when I get home. Thanks for your reply!

4. JimmyT

JimmyT

Nov 28, 2004
    Seatlle
    I use an Ehrlund EAP, typically by itself, or sometimes blended with Heil PR-40, into Felix, MAS 1.8. Plenty of room with just EAP - in a semi-loud, 2 horn, guitar, piano and drum combo I often have the gain fairly high, about 2:00 on the dial, and the volume at about 11:00. There is no cut, but the selectable input impedance may be a factor.

upload_2017-11-29_14-19-50.

5. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    Full circle and a Remic Green. Sonic bliss!

Mnjoe likes this.
  6. lrhbass

lrhbass Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Dallas,Tx.
    Lifeline-Remic Green

Full Circle-Remic Green

After many years of trial and error this works!

Mnjoe likes this.
  7. Schertler Stat B (single pickup version) with a Schoeps CMC6/Mk41 mic. Works perfectly with the Felix.

Nathan Levine likes this.
  8. Nathan Levine

Apr 25, 2008
    Anchorage, AK
    Ordered a Stat-B today. Not quite ready to pull the trigger on a Schoeps for my bass. :)

Vunz likes this.
  9. mikeGJ

mikeGJ Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Grand Junction, CO
    Schertler Dyn-B here, sounds great.