Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Felt Rings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by mike_odonovan, Nov 24, 2004.

1. I have Flexocor 92s on the top and 2 Spirocore Orchs on the bottom and i like the setup but would like the spiros to be a bit darker sounding.

i am wondering if i put the same felt damper on the spiros that comes with flexocores - will it dampen the sound a bit and make em mix a little better. Maybe even the spiros might bow a little better as well? Or is it a pipe dream?

what say you before messin?

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
  3. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I thought that felt washers would dampen the sound but with my setup (Pirastro Jazzers on a laminated New Standard Cleveland) the sound was more lively, and string to string tone/balance was notably better with the washers.

4. so winston you saying it did change the sound?

5. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Yeah, there was a notable diff in sound. Mind you, I didn't put the washers at the bridge but at the ball end in the tailpiece. I had thought they would dampen the sound, but they opened it up. I didn't like the Jazzers without washers, but with 'em they're the best-sounding strings I've had on the bass (also had Spiro Mittels and Innovation Honeys).