1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Felt Rings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by mike_odonovan, Nov 24, 2004.

1. I have Flexocor 92s on the top and 2 Spirocore Orchs on the bottom and i like the setup but would like the spiros to be a bit darker sounding.

i am wondering if i put the same felt damper on the spiros that comes with flexocores - will it dampen the sound a bit and make em mix a little better. Maybe even the spiros might bow a little better as well? Or is it a pipe dream?

what say you before messin?

2. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I thought that felt washers would dampen the sound but with my setup (Pirastro Jazzers on a laminated New Standard Cleveland) the sound was more lively, and string to string tone/balance was notably better with the washers.

3. so winston you saying it did change the sound?

4. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Yeah, there was a notable diff in sound. Mind you, I didn't put the washers at the bridge but at the ball end in the tailpiece. I had thought they would dampen the sound, but they opened it up. I didn't like the Jazzers without washers, but with 'em they're the best-sounding strings I've had on the bass (also had Spiro Mittels and Innovation Honeys).