Fender 1968 "C"??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ariabass, Jan 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ariabass

Ariabass

Mar 29, 2008
    I started another thread on here a while back about a '51 precision that I inherited from my uncle - or least that's what I thought. We debated it and decided it was a late 60's model. Maybe of the paisley variety, but nothing definitive.

I finally had the time to pull the neck and I've attached the result. "23OCT68C" for what its worth, there's light red paint on the body under the neck (not sure that means anything). I'm stumped on how to get more info. Anybody have any thoughts? Thanks!

IMG_2602.JPG.jpg

Attached Files:

Groove Doctor likes this.
  2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Very cool old warrior! that's my Thoughts. :D

3. Dluxe

Dluxe Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    23 is the code for a Telecaster Bass. October 1968 C width at the nut. (1 3/4)

Lownote38 likes this.
  4. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yup, exactly what Deluxe said^.

Regular Precision necks were 5.
    Jazz Bass necks were 7.
    Tele Bass necks were 23.

A = 1-1/2" width.
    B = 1-5/8"
    C= 1-3/4"

Flaked Beans likes this.
  5. Ariabass

Ariabass

Mar 29, 2008
    Thanks all. Is there any way to tell what this was originally? Because it has a multi-piece body, I thought it would likely have been one of the blue/pink paisley designs as I believe every other bass was a single piece for the body. Would Fender have info on this?

I should add that the only other neck info I've seen for a paisley design was "23OCT68C" like this one. (I'm just curious, I'm definitely not selling it or anything like that)

ajkula66 likes this.
  6. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    The neck stamp doesn't say anything about the color. It was probably a 1968 Telecaster Bass in the pink paisley if you found that color in the neck pocket. Most Fender basses are 2 and more often 3 or more pieces. Even the sunburst ones, so that isn't unusual at all. The number of pieces doesn't say anything about the color either for that reason. If there's a paint stick outline in the neck pocket that's surrounded by the pink color you mentioned, I would assume it was pink paisley.

7. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA/RS
    Actually, I have yet to see a Tele Bass with a one-piece body. And I've seen quite a few.

My own '71 - originally a CAR - was a two-piece. A '69 belonging to a very dear friend of mine which left factory as blonde shared the same story. I've seen some three-piece bodies as well, mostly on second generation.

As for Fender having info that you're looking for...extremely unlikely IMO.

8. Ariabass

Ariabass

Mar 29, 2008
    Thanks. I'm a bit of a fish out of water with basses. I was told all other telecaster basses were one-piece in 1968, so apparently I was told wrong. I guess I'll keep having to work to figure out what this was originally.

9. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA/RS
    Your bass, your call, my unsolicited two cents are as follows:

I wouldn't lose sleep over what the original colour was. It's long since gone, and if it was some type of Paisley you have next to no chance of restoring it without spending an absolutely insane (IMO) amount of money.

Ask yourself which colour would the bass look good in, something that would suit your taste, and take it from there. There's no shortage of competent luthiers who could perform the work once your mind has been made up.

Good luck.

10. Ariabass

Ariabass

Mar 29, 2008
    Thanks for your input, it seems like it would be next to impossible to find out what the original color was. I've thought about just cleaning it up and leaving as it is. Its been this way for 40 years. I'm keeping it anyway, so value isn't really a priority.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2022