1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender 5ers: 4+1 vs inline 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mound of Sound, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Just curious. It seems that people prefer the 4+1 config over the inline 5 on the headstock. Is this just an aesthetic thing, or are there advantages of one or the other?

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I personally feel there's fewer deadspots on the neck of the 4+1 headstock models.

3. I did not realize that Fender made both?

4. rojo412

rojo412 Walnut is fun! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    If I'm not mistaken, it was an effort to reduce the weight of the headstock at the very and and alleviate some "neck dive" issues.

Plus, it looks like all of the other companies' designs (Musicman, Sadowsky, etc) and Fender didn't want to be "innovative" or "original".

(And to anyone who doesn't get that, it's a JOKE because other companies copy Fender. HA HA HA :D)

5. Mulebagger

Mulebagger

Dec 12, 2007
    poppin in the corn belt
    Endorsing Artist: Zon Guitars, Tsunami Cables, DR Strings, GK
    I prefer 3+2 like on a Zon or Modulus or Fodera. Just feels better balanced for me.

My Modulus Genesis has a 4+1, but it is well balanced.

Definitely not a fan of 5 in a row.

6. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    The 4+1s fit in cases better, and there might be a minimal effect on reducing neck dive.

7. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    I have owned both versions in USA Fender and Squire configurations, all Jazz bases and I much prefer the look, feel and erganomics of 5 inline. never noticed any of the issues reported.

8. 76Dub

76Dub Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    I prefer the 4 +1 headstock. To me it just looks better/less cramped. Also with the 5 in line that G string is in a better place/closer in relation to the tuner

9. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    :D

10. jkjgiants26

jkjgiants26

Sep 12, 2009
    California
    sorry to be this guy but Musicmans were actually designed by Leo Fender. but Sadowsky, Carvin, Mike Lull they all did that :D

11. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I have no idea if they play better or worse, but I like the look of the 4+1 better than the inline 5 when it comes to Fender 5ers.

12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    +1

Plus it looks better

13. I wonder about this also.
    I wonder about dead spots on alleva coppolo which have in line tuners and a headstock that looks like a boat paddle.

14. So does Fender still make both styles or was one just used for a short time. Not sure if I have ever saw the 4+1 on a Fender

15. JZQuantum

JZQuantum

Oct 12, 2008
    I like the 3+2 design of my Modulus Q5. Generally speaking (very general) I would say that any peg head configuration that gets the weight of the tuning machines closer to the body would tend to balance the neck on your body better.

That said, I've never paid attention to peg head design other than for aesthetics. Obviously, the best looking bass head is a fender-style 4 string.

16. rojo412

rojo412 Walnut is fun! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    The 4 strings were, that's for sure!
    G&L used to be 4+1, but moved to 3+2. Pretty sure Leo was gone before the 5 string MM or G&L came to fruition.

Begs the question:
    WHO DID THE FIRST 4+1 HEADSTOCK?

17. I think the inline 5 ugly. 4+1 is more balanced.

18. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    ...really?

19. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    I like the 4+1 design as on my American Standard Jazz. Has more of a traditional look to it which I like.

20. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I have owned both and prefer the look of the 4+1 over the 5 inline.

American Fender 5ers used to be 5 a side until a few years back. 2005? Not sure when they switched.