1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender '62 RI vs. Modulus Genesis VJ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ArpeggiFish, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Fender

88 vote(s)
    62.4%
  2. Modulus

44 vote(s)
    31.2%
  3. other (state in post)

9 vote(s)
    6.4%
  1. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    Hi,

I can't decide! For those of you that don't know, Genesis basses have a carbon fiber core with soft wood surrounding it. I really need help. Both would be about the same price. I want something to get real gritty funk, to a great rock tone. From Rage to Beatles, I play most styles of music. I prefer fingerstyle, but I thump/pluck a lot.

Thanks

Arpeggi

2. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    VJ's are really modern sounding basses. The Fender is all old school. If you want to thump, pick the Fender.

3. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    but i'm afraid that i can't get a good modern tone with a RI

4. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Lakland JO!!!

old school mojo out the wazzoo!

plus, it's what Timmy C is using these days! :bassist:

5. I thought that all Modulus basses have carbon fiber necks.. o_O

6. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Modulus Genesis VJs are really nice

7. And what about a Fender '75 RI ?
    Comes closer to the Marcus sound anyway than a '62 RI.
    I vote for a '75 RI

Cheers,
    Ray

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Rather than either of these, save up a few more pennies and buy a Status T Bass! :D

9. neuromancer

neuromancer

Apr 28, 2005
    CT, USA
    In my case I'd be biased toward a Modulus, although given what you're looking for I agree with the above assessments that the Fender would probably be the better candidate.

I've never played a Genesis, just the Q4/5. I'm curious to know what those play/sound like...

10. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Genesis hands down.

11. bassic_element

bassic_element

Sep 20, 2006
    +1

12. bassman10096

bassman10096

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    A lot of people are not familiar with the very different tone you get from the wood/graphite hybrid Genesis neck. I own one and would tell you this: The Genesis VJ sounds nothing like the full carbon VJ. The Genesis combines real warmth (from the wood, often lacking in carbon necks) with exceptional harmonics and sustain (from the carbon spar). The difference between the Genesis neck and the many "carbon reinforced" necks is this: The tension on the Genesis neck is fully supported by a carbon infrastructure (the spar) that runs from the heel to the top of the headstock. It is visible on the back and along both edges, where it extends the full width of the fingerboard. It's my understanding that if you stripped the wood off the whole back of a Genesis neck (preserving the bits necessary to bolt the neck to the body) and just left the carbon and the fingerboard, the neck would support the string tension and be playable. In that sense, the Genesis is a principally graphite neck with wood while graphite reinforced necks are principally wood with added graphite.

I like graphite necks alright, but the Genesis is really a step above in terms of versatility. BTW: If you want it to clank and grind like a graphite, you can get it to do that too. :D

13. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I once had a Genesis VJ (Bartolini PUPs and preamp), a Fender Deluxe Jazz, and a Fender MIJ '62 RI with Dimarzios Js.

Sorry to say the cliche, but the Modulus was "sterile" in comparison, very stiff and compressed. Not agressive or smooth, just a very neutral-sounding bass. It generated a very clean note, but no growl, no character. And I didn't like the neck profile, which was a bit hefty and the 12' radius wasn't comfy to me either. And it was pretty heavy too.

I like the sound of Quantums, like when Oteil played one, or Mike Gordon, though, so nothing against graphite or Modulus. I think that a big part of the reason why the VJ I had didn't speak was more because to the Bartolini system. I could bet the some Nordstrands with an Aguilar pre would have sounded a lot better.

14. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    If you want aggressive on a Mod, the Aguilar is your best bet. The Bart pre is VERY polite by comparison.

15. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    I'm a big fan of Marcus, but I don't tend to play his style of funk.

16. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    I don't really want a full carbon fiber neck

17. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    A fender 62' RI could be made modern sounding without a doubt. I think that if you want oldschool and modern, your best bet is to hotrod a 62' RI w/ new pickups and an audere preamp. You then could have a great modern tone but also a great oldschool tone.

However what your looking for I found in a custom warmoth build.

18. I didn't like the Genesis VJ (used it for a couple sets at blues jams), it seemed to me the neck pup was too close to the neck and it just didn't sound or feel "right". Maybe because I play a Fender Jazz quite a bit, the 62 ri felt and sounded more like home. From what you've stated that you're looking for go with the Fender (JM$.02).

19. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    Right now, I don't think I have the time or ability to make my own bass.

20. If I recall, and I think it may still be on the Modulus web site (I don't know, I haven't looked), but the VJ was supposed to be basically a 60's Jazz bass.