1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender "Active" Precison & Jazz Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GaryLC, Mar 10, 2008.

1. MIM Deluxe P Bass Special

9 vote(s)
    17.3%
  2. American Deluxe Precision

7 vote(s)
    13.5%
  3. MIM Deluxe Active Jazz

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  4. American Deluxe Jazz

37 vote(s)
    71.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. GaryLC

GaryLC

Apr 6, 2006
    Scotia, NY
    I wanted to get some general opinions on Fender's active Precision & Jazz basses. I know they're two different beasts anyway, but what are your opinions on the MIM Deluxe P Bass Special vs. the American Deluxe Precision, and the MIM Deluxe Active Jazz Bass vs. the American Deluxe Jazz Bass.
    Which of the four does the best job of using the active electronics? I have a Jag, which I love, and have had both P & J basses in the past, but want another active Fender.....

2. i dont like active P basses. but the jazzes are great

3. Haven't played the P, but I have an American Deluxe Jazz V and it is great. It's the newer model with the SCN pickups. We're in the studio now recording a new album so I'll have soundclips soon!

4. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I love my MIM P Deluxe. But, it is converted to Active! I also love my MIA P Deluxe V. I have never liked Jazz bass bodies. I do prefer the neck on a Jazz though

5. JeremyBender

JeremyBender

Oct 22, 2001
    NY
    I own an American Deluxe P and it's a great bass. The neck is most impressive, great feel and playability and a multitude of tones thanks to the humbucker combined with the split coil P. The only drawback is a lack of a passive switch. So, if the battery dies, you're SoL as the saying goes. I really love mine. I also own a MIM Deluxe Jazz, but it's modified all to hell.

6. morebass!

morebass! I'm all ears Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    The MIA Jazz Deluxe is the best-sounding, best playing, coolest-looking, and lightest jazz bass I've ever played! And I've played some nice ones.

7. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    MIA FTW. The mim's are nice for the price, but I could never be happy with them stock. Their going to need fretwork, new pickups and a new preamp to really jive with me.

8. neuromancer

neuromancer

Apr 28, 2005
    CT, USA
    The Jazz Bass 24 (also active) would easily fit in with the above basses in the poll. ;)

9. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    I'm going to have to say the MIA Jazz, since I just recently got one. Although I played a MIM P-bass, and I really liked it. The only thing I didn't like was the J pick-up, which I thought sounded kinda thin. But I would definitely pick one up. The MIM J deluxe was also good, but the one I tried wasn't set up very well.

10. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    While I think the Deluxe Active MIMs are good for the money, the USA Deluxes are just plain good, perhaps great. I have owned a few nice basses, but my USA Deluxe Jazz might be the nicest bass I've ever had. I can't put it down. Its definitely the easiest bass to gig with; versatile, lightweight, and the neck is a dream to play. I've owned basses that cost more, but none that I like better.

11. mike_Ro11

mike_Ro11

Dec 17, 2007
    I own a usa deluxe jazz. IT is a great bass. It has great tone. plays great. I would recommend it.

12. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    +1. And it's MIK, so the quality IMO is much better than the MIM.

13. MIA Deluxe Jazz by far. SCN pickups are yummy. The MIA Deluxe P Bass doesn't work as an active instrument, and it doesn't help that the pickups are nothing special. (Unfortunately.)