1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fender aerodyne drop in tuners?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by magic8161, Jun 17, 2017.

1. magic8161

magic8161 Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Milwaukee
    Are there any Drop in tuners that are super light weight. ? i dont want to drill anything on this bass. Thanks.

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Here is the tech drawing for the Gotoh 528, it may be you best fit.

gb528s-dim-1.
    If that doesn't fit, I doubt it. Unless someone other than Hipshot or Gotoh is making aluminum machines, and I'm not aware of any. There are plenty of tuners available that require a modification of some kind that wouldn't be visible if you were to put the original tuners back on though. Some of those tuners requiring mods have the mod hidden under the tuners too. The Schaller Da Vici, Schaller BM light, and Schaller M4S light spring to mind.

Sperzel makes one too, but I think it's only available with a 5/16" capstan.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    Double E likes this.
  3. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    The tuners you have on there (they use them on all MIJ Fender basses) are as light as you can get without drilling. Finding a drop in replacement that's black would be even more difficult.

magic8161 likes this.
  4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    If I recall, they aren't even totally black. Aren't they sort of a dark titanium color similar to a lot if Ibanez basses? (I could be wrong on this. It's been a long time since I held one.)

Double E and Lownote38 like this.
  5. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I believe they are black chrome. That's what Fender Japan tuners usually are if they're black.

magic8161 and Double E like this.
  6. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Northeast OH
    Aerodynes do not all have the same tuners... please post a pic of the back of your headstock.

Lownote38 likes this.
  7. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Northeast OH
    Actually...the exact footprint may not matter. @sissy kathy's response is accurate. Regardless of the footprint, if your's is a CIJ or MIJ Aerodyne, the tuner hole will be the same no matter which Gotoh tuner model was used. Neither of the Res-o-Lite models will be a "drop-in" I don't think despite matching the spec for the hole, the mounting screws will not line up.

You might be able to use a Hipshot Ultralite with a small shaft but that isn't ideal.

None will likely be available with the smoked-chrome finish either.

magic8161 and Lownote38 like this.
  8. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Late to the discussion, but I had the same question; the tuners and bridge on mine are tarnished, so I decided on a wholesale hardware change. My original search here didn’t turn up this thread, so I took measurements and started googling.

I came across the Gotoh GB10 set, which appears to be a drop-in match for my Aerodyne Precision.

As far as color goes, @two fingers and @Lownote38 are right—they’re listed as “black chrome” which isn’t quite black.

I just got a quote from Josh @ Japarts in Canada for $67 plus shipping for a set.

Can anyone advise why these wouldn’t fit? My measurements were crude, but seem to bear out the fitment advertised in a number of eBay ads. TIA.

Lownote38 likes this.
  9. DanBass81

DanBass81

Mar 26, 2012
    Ireland
    They should fit without any issues. In fact I think that's what Fender Japan actually use. For the information of the OP though - the Gotoh GB10 is not a lightweight replacement tuner.

Jeff Elkins likes this.
  10. Jeff Elkins

Sep 13, 2007
    East Tennessee
    I have a question in to Jason at BassStringsOnline about the Hipshot HB10 tuners. According to Hipshot, they are a direct replacement for the Gotoh GB1, which were the original tuners for the Aerodyne, before Gotoh changed the model number to GB10.

Anyway, they appear black online. Not smoked chrome. So I’m asking for a confirmation. I’ll follow up and see if they’re also lightweight—though I suspect they aren’t as light as Hipshot’s specifically lightweight tuners.

11. Jeff Elkins

Sep 13, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Jason says “Matte Black.” Also, as suspected, not lightweight. Getting back out of the way...