1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass - Post 2015 models

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TB24, Mar 15, 2017.

1. TB24

TB24

May 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Was in the local GC and saw this on the wall. On paper I probably would have passed on this as I thought it was an entry level bass. Seeing it in person, wow, caught my attention, so I had to play it. Besides the great sound and feel, I saw it's a Made in Japan product. Since I was uninformed I did a little research and learned that were actually two types: Made in Japan (MIJ) and Crafted in Japan (CIJ), which again I did not know the difference. Long story short, seems Fender HQ (FMIC) bought out/took over the Japanese plant/production in March 2015. Has anyone seen a decrease in quality on the Post 2015 Japanese models?

That aside, what are your thoughts on this bass? Very different (basswood vs Ash/Alder, etc.). It's a fingerprint magnet, but I really like the look and feel, to include the matching head stock. Don't know if it would ever be my main bass, but love the cool dark look to the whole thing. I would probably change out the bridge to a Fender Hi Mass Vintage.

Aerodyne™ Jazz Bass® | Fender Bass Guitars

Fender Japan - Wikipedia

Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass - Wikipedia

IMG_7560.JPG IMG_7552.JPG Fender-Aerodyne-Jazz-Bass-Body-620x413. Fender-Aerodyne-Jazz-Bass-Headstock-620x413. Fender-Aerodyne-Jazz-Bass-Longview-620x620. Fender-Aerodyne-Jazz-Bass-620x180.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    BlueAliceOasis likes this.
  2. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    I played one of these and was impressed as well. I don't need another bass, but I could own one for sure.

BlueAliceOasis and TB24 like this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I am keeping my antenna up for a 5 string one now that Fender Japan is slowly creeping back into reality.

Honestly, there probably isn't much in the way of real world experience with the new ones yet. They seem to be sneaking back into US stores without a lot of fanfare.

BlueAliceOasis, DevinWard369 and TB24 like this.
  4. TB24

TB24

May 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Agreed, that seems to be the case... slowly creeping back in without much fanfare. As long as the quality is there, thats whats most important. I'll give it another drive this weekend. On first pass I was very impressed with the sound and neck feel. Feels like a nice mix of value and quality. I'm actually not much of P/J fan... never felt like the "P" sounded as rich as a dedicated P bass... but I like the narrower (jazz) neck, so it's decent compromise, definitely has my attention!

5. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

My local Guitar Center has a new model…a 2016 MIJ unit, if I remember correctly. I suspect other locations that have new, non-used 'Dynes have newer units too. It would seem FMIC is trying to get more "non-standard" Fender basses onto store walls (e.g.: my GC has an Aerodyne and a Classic '70s Jazz, along with the usual MIM/MIA units).

The only substantive difference I noticed between it and my 2003 and 2007 CIJ models is the finish on the back of the neck. The new model has a full-on satin finish, whereas my CIJ's have a very thin varnish I could best describe as "semi-gloss" (my personal preference). Otherwise, it felt just like an Aerodyne should feel with nothing to indicate any significant loss of quality.

Personally, I love my 1½ 'Dynes (one is complete, the other is just the neck I used for a parts-bass ;)), but a big part of that is how well the ergonomics work for me. I fully understand if they don't feel "right" in someone else's hands. Sonically, I think they sound fine…maybe not "perfect", but respectable.

One last thing, the finish tends to chip a bit more easily than other Fenders. I dunno if it's something to do with the particular finish they use or how it grafts to basswood, but it's only a minor thingie at most.

TB24 likes this.
  6. Malak the Mad

See if they also have one of the aforementioned Classic '70s Jazzes in stock. It shares the same fretboard radius as the Aerodyne (vintage-style 7.25"), but is a little bit thicker front-to-back. I'm curious if your fretting hand would notice the difference. ;)

TB24 likes this.
  7. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Aerodyne are great basses, but the basswood bodies are really soft, so they dent easily. I'd trade the weight of an ash body to get something more durable if it's available.

TB24 likes this.
  8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm using telepathetic mind waves to force Fender to make a 5 string Aerodyne.
    Telepathy.

9. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    If they made the version with the P shaped body again, I'd be all over it....just sayin'

TB24 likes this.
  10. Xandrell

Xandrell

Aug 23, 2014
    Just received a new MIJ aerodyne and it's noisy on both pups and it goes away when I touch the strings or turn down the tone. The build quality seems good. I'm thinking about returning it for a replacement. I hope they're all not like this.

TB24 and Krebsy like this.
  11. Malak the Mad

Really? Really?! :eyebrow:

C'mon, TF…everyone knows Aquaman's "ability to talk to fish" is completely useless! :rolleyes:

But yeah, it would be super-cool if FMIC recommissioned the Aerodyne V.

ajb-v_01.original_zpsgvi1orio.

12. Krebsy

Krebsy Gold Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2015
    I have the same issue with mine except only in the bridge pup. I'm figuring a set of Geezer Butler EMG's will fix all of IMG_1556.JPG that.

13. TB24

TB24

May 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Good to know you're happy with both versions. Sorry to hear about the paint chip, but good to know. TB

Malak the Mad likes this.
  14. TB24

TB24

May 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks Xandrell. Might just be your model. I played two, at two different locations and didn't have those issues on either of them.

15. TB24

TB24

May 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Great picture of the 5 string, done see this often. I love the stained fretboard!

Malak the Mad likes this.
  16. TB24

TB24

May 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Not to hijack my own thread as I don't do much modifying, but, if I did, I would totally put these in. Great pickups and easy to install.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  17. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    Maybe the fretboard radius and the 1.5" nut together?

I always find 7.25" radius to be a bit more comfy.

I'm tempted to buy this bass myself. I was really looking at the Classic Series Lacquers but I can't afford one of each P and J. This MIJ seems like a good middle-ground and has the same fretboard radius (7.25) I like.

Malak the Mad and TB24 like this.
  18. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    The Geezer P pickup is one of the best sounding P pickups I've ever tried. Nice little twist of upper mids in there. Not bright, but punchy.

I haven't tried the PJ set.

TB24 likes this.
  19. TB24

TB24

May 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    I know the feeling. I son't really need another bass. Currently have both Fender Elite and Deluxe models J and PJ... 2-3x the cost of Aerodyne, but there is just something cool about this bass. Plus I like the thought of having a MIJ model as well (shoot I'm talking myself into buying it lol :) )

Malak the Mad and Antisyzygy like this.
  20. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    Haha!

I just went through a major downsize so I got room!

I was really wanting both of those Classic Lacquers just because it would feel nice to have a solid P and J and I like the rounder fretboard radius. The two quintessential Fender basses. I could use them both I just don't have the scratch anymore after a plumbing problem at my house.

I have a shorty PJ, a fretless PJ (both Fender) and a super P bass (G&L SB-1). Not a single classic Fender anymore.