1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender American Professional Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by andykeating, Dec 17, 2018.

1. andykeating

andykeating

Oct 5, 2016
    Manchester
    Have been without a P Bass for too long - a Jazz and a Rickenbacker 4003 have been my go-to basses for the past couple of years - but I've missed the simplicity and sound of the Precision.

Tried one of the new American Professional models at weekend and immediately ordered one. FYI its black with a maple neck and a black pickguard will be going on it immediately.

Basically just want to know people's experiences with these basses and how you've found them in both recording and live situations. This is more so I can get even more excited over my new purchase, not because I'm having buyer's remorse... :headphone:

2. Aaron Houts

Aaron Houts

Jan 10, 2014
    Flo Rida
    I have a black and maple 5 string version and I love mine!

I haven’t recorded with it yet, but I have used it live. I’ve played with two unusually loud acoustic guitarists that were running through a PA where I had been having problems being heard. I played it through my Fender v2 Rumble 350 head and a v3 Rumble 115 cab and it even punched through on a cell phone recording with no PA support for the bass.

I’ve also used it at a blues jam with two electric guitarists and a drummer. I was playing through a TC Electronic combo and running through the PA. Once again it did the trick for me.

The way I put it is that I know it’s good gear because when I was playing I wasn’t thinking about the gear-just about the playing.

I switched out the pickguard for a plain white instead of the mint green for a classic look, used Hipshot Ultralite tuners to drop some weight off the headstock and had it set up and shielded by a luthier. I will be switching out the stock bridge for a Hipshot FM3 next week. After that it will be done.

I only have this one bass and am not sure I’ll need another. If I decide to get a second bass, it’ll be a 4 string version of the same thing with the exact same mods. In short, I’m completely happy with it and think you made the right decision. Be excited! Congratulations!

Here’s are pics with only some of the mods. I’m pretty sure this is after I changed the pickguard from the stock one. I’ll probably start a “New(ly finished) Bass Day” thread once it’s all done.
    DD8668F2-264B-44B2-915E-96769AA3DF33.
    This pic might be with the new tuners and after the setup/shielding but I’m not sure:
    4E1C63EE-19AC-473C-997D-590E8E321323.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    filler83 and andykeating like this.