Fender American Special Jazz via Amazon

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Analog_Kid_20, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Analog_Kid_20

Analog_Kid_20

Jul 11, 2013
    Wisconsin
    OK - closed my eyes, clicked the mouse button and purchased a "new" Fender American Special Jazz Bass on Amazon. Did my research and realize there are people on both sides of the Amazon fence - the Fender website indicates Amazon is an authorized dealer so I figured I would give it a shot.

Bass arrived in factory-sealed condition; everything appears to be in good order. Something caught my eye - nothing mechanical or cosmetic - just the serial number.

It appears I received (in July 2013) a "new" Fender Jazz Bass from the 2011 production year.

Questions:

(1) Are there any design or component differences between the 2011 production year and 2013 (pick-ups, neck design, etc.)?

(2) Is production year alone (2 years ago) enough reason to return the bass to Amazon and pursue a "newer" new bass?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated - thanks.

2. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Do you like the Bass? Does it feel and sound good. it is a brand new bass . I bought one about six months ago from a local dealer CAR Fender American special Jazz That appeared to have been made in 2011 also. It was a new Bass and no factory upgrades/Changes have been made to the model. still has the so,So Bridge and tuners and useable but not great pickups. So what it comes down to is do you like it? If you do then keep it . if you want to take a shot at getting one with a 2012 or 2013 ser. number good luck with that.

3. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    I bought mine from a local music store six months ago brand new and it was a 2010. Lol. Inventory usually backs up. Especially because retailers have to buy big orders if they work with fender. So some things sit. I say unless you really wanted that year or if there is a change between the years that you wanted return it, if not and you like it. Keep it.

4. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    Not to mention the nice the bass and more expensive the longer they sit. Squires in the other hand can't be kept on the shelf.

5. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i would rather have the 2012-13 model that come with the Custom Shop pups!:hyper: (i'm not sure your bass had this up-grade)

6. tzard

tzard

Jan 15, 2012
    That is the american STANDARD jazz bass

7. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Yeah, as far as I know, there have been no "upgrades" to the American Special.