1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender American Standard Jazz Bass neck pocket question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hvy, May 5, 2010.

1. hvy

hvy

Oct 5, 2009
    I have just bought a brand new Fender American Standard Jazz Bass and the bass sounds great and plays very well , but the neck pocket has a gap between the side of the neck and the body of about a millimeter at both top and bottom . The heel of the neck join i.e the flat surface of the back of the neck that joins to the heel block of the body is perfectly tight, but the sides of the neck in the part of the aperture facing the top and bottom horns of the body have the aforementioned gaps. Is this common? What are other peoples American Standard Jazz Bass neck pockets like? Should I send the bass back while I still have the option? I have an American Standard Precision that has a tight neck pocket both back and sides , so I know what can be achieved.Am I splitting hairs ,or should I keep looking for perfection ? Any input or opinions would be appreciated as nowhere near me has the same bass for me to compare .

2. I have owned 5 of the new American Standards, sold 1, one got sent back for a refund, and kept 3. The 3 I have are stunning examples, I am lucky. There are still problems with QC though everynow and then. If you have the option, be picky and send it back!