1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Amps

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by ShoeManiac, Jan 13, 2012.

1. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    Anyone who has been hanging out in the JMJ forum is probably aware of a well established relationship with Fender, and in particular a love of the Precision bass. But recently we've also gotten to see the Bassman TV15 combo in the studio, which has been the subject of some discussion.

Fender has also just launched the new Super Bassman Pro line of all tube amp heads and cabinets. And in one of the promo videos on that webpage is the venerable JMJ demoing the new Bassman amp gear.

Now, I know that there are established relationships with both Ampeg and Aguilar. And curiously, out of all the players who were demoing the Bassman gear you were not quoted on camera. Would you care to comment here, or given the aforementioned relationships is that not to be done? Inquiring minds want to know what you thought of these new tube amps.

2. Dan Bozek

Dan Bozek

Aug 3, 2011
    Outside Pittsburgh, PA
    Endorsing Artist, D'addario Strings
    ManÂ… I wish I was going to NAMM this year so I could check these out. They sound awesome in the demo videos. I'm more interested in grabbing up a BM TV soon to try recording since I'm pretty happy with tones of the Ampeg stuff I got in the fall, (and I'm looking forward to giving it a good solid workout when things start to get busier in the Spring/Summer) but it looks like I could easily be persuaded to fall in love with the SupersÂ… He he he.

And a bearded JMJ was quoted on camera at the very end of one of the videos. :^)

3. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    Those amps are dope. Huge sounding.

4. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    Any thoughts on the clean channel VS the overdrive channel?

5. Bassbwithu

Bassbwithu Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2004
    McKinney, TX
    Hey J~ If you can, mind elaborating on your experience with the new Bassmans? Thanks.

6. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    I don't know you guys. I just turn it on and turn knobs, it sounds really good. The overdrive is nice, for sure. Every time I use it it's just sort of there and sounds great, I never turn the knobs much. Sorry for the glib response, but it's true. Haven't really delved deeply into it. I want to set it flat sometime and listen to what that sounds like.

7. Bassbwithu

Bassbwithu Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2004
    McKinney, TX
    Nah man...thanks for the response. I've always liked the sound of Bassmans, but they were too underpowered, and I never thought the Fender tone-stack pre into a power amp really sounded much like the originals. I thought it was a good move by Fender to come out with a high watt version.