Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Bassman 100 & a 4x12 cab for 850??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigbutes89, Mar 11, 2006.

1. bigbutes89

bigbutes89

Mar 6, 2006
    I found a fender bassman 100 & a 4x12 cab both for $850, im wondering if thats a good deal or not??

2. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    it's over priced... $500 is a good deal

3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    You might not want that cabinet. I was faced with the same thing, and walked away with only the head ($350 worth of traded stuff later). The cabinet was too big for what it did.

4. bigbutes89

bigbutes89

Mar 6, 2006
    isint that too low?

5. bigbutes89

bigbutes89

Mar 6, 2006
    How much did you buy the head?

what do you mean the cab was too big?

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Bassman cabs are more suited for guitar than for bass.

7. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    As I said in my post, I traded about $350 worth of stuff for it.

By saying the cabinet was too big, I simply meant that it was too physically large. The whole stack stood up to my ribcage. I've got a custom cabinet coming in a few days that should be able to smoke that big boy, weight half as much, and be about half as tall.

8. bigbutes89

bigbutes89

Mar 6, 2006
    oo, what would be a good cab for a bassman 100?

9. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I'll let you know in a week! :D *

But in the meantime, I find that my SWR WM 1x15T sounds great with it. My Avatar 2x10 didn't like it so much - sounded very thin. That 15 is very thick, and it worked out well. Oh, and look! It's in the classifieds here! ;)

But seriously, some guys like to run more hifi cabs with this thing. There is a member here that runs his 135 (newer 100) with two EA CXL1x12s. I bet that'd sound good, but different.

* - in a week, I'm picking up my custom cabinet from Low Down Sound in Detroit. It's a 2x12 / 2x6 that will match, visually, the Fender head.

10. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    indeed I do run two EA CXL112's with my Bassman 135, and it sound great!! [​IMG]

11. I don't think that cab would be of much use to most bass players for several reasons (tone, efficiency, size, weight, punk drivers...), but that head is a point to point tube head with decent transformers. It will produce great bass tone at very respectable volumes, and it will last indefinitely with some maintenance.

The head is not really flexible, but it serves up very warm, satisfying tones through the old school spectrum. It is pretty loud with a decent cabinet. I would pay up to $500 for that head if it is in very good shape, and it is something that you will use. If you have to buy both at that price, it is marginal. Selling the cab for $300 might be a challenge, and that is the best use for it.

12. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
  13. THATS A MATTER OF OPINION, MY BASSMAN 2X15 WJBL-E130'S HAS SERVED ME VERY WELL OVER THE LAST 20 YEARS AND STILL THUMPS AND HAS VERY REFINED DEFINITION. WOULDNT TRADE IT
    FOR ANYTHING.:bassist: