1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Bassman speaker replacement

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by freekdegreef, Apr 23, 2009.

1. freekdegreef

freekdegreef Commercial User

Apr 23, 2009
    Owner, Doombringer cabs
    Hello there,

I've got a Fender Bassman 135 cab with one non-original speaker and on speaker which looks like it will break any minute now. The pyramid shaped construction isn't really in good shape either. I'm thinking of removing the speakers and pyramid shaped construction and making the front straight and placing 6 eminence DELTALITE II 2512/2510 speakers.

These speakers have an impedance of 8 ohm's so I was thinking of making pairs of 2 in series and then connection the 3 pairs in parallel. The impedance would then be 5,3 ohm's. I'm using an SWR Bass 750 amp so I guess that should not be a problem. Has anyone got an idea if this will work and what problems I might run into?

I apologize for my bad English, I'm from the Netherlands.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    By all means get rid of the pyramid crap, but don't overstuff the cab with six drivers. The Deltalite II 2510 and 2512 need about 2 cubic feet per driver to work properly. The cab should be vented and tuned to about 50 Hz with 2510, 40 Hz with 2512, and it needs proper bracing.

3. freekdegreef

Apr 23, 2009
    Owner, Doombringer cabs
    Thanks for the quick reply and the info! Do you really think that I will be overstuffing it when I use 6 speakers? By my calculations the cab is almost 13 cubic feet in size so that should work right? What happens when it's overstuffed?

4. freekdegreef

Apr 23, 2009
    Owner, Doombringer cabs
    Anyone?

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Low frequency response is choked off, the cab will be boomy, and you spend too much money on drivers. The 2512, BTW, works best in 4 cu ft apiece, though it can get by with as little as 2 cu ft. The 2510 is ideal in 2 cu ft, so you could use six of those, but four 2512 will equal them for less money.

6. freekdegreef

Apr 23, 2009
    Owner, Doombringer cabs
    Thanks for the advice, I'm well on my way building the cab right now. I decided to go for 6x 8 ohm Deltalite II 2510's. What would be the best way to wire these together? 3 pairs of 2 in series?

Thanks.

7. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Three series pairs (16 ohms) then paralleled results in 5.3 ohms. This is essential the same as commercial 6x cabs.

Treat 5.3 ohms as if it were 4 ohms when considering load on an amplifier.

8. freekdegreef

Apr 23, 2009
    Owner, Doombringer cabs
    Finished! I'm really getting the hang of it and thinking about building a 2x15 and maybe a 4x12 guitar cab during the summer holidays.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Nice work. Is Doombringer your own brand?

10. adam precision

adam precision

Mar 26, 2008
    Ireland
    LOOKS FANTASTIC!

11. freekdegreef

Apr 23, 2009
    Owner, Doombringer cabs
    Thanks and yes it is, thinking about starting my own company but I'm going to build some more prototypes first.