1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender BassV ex Jamerson?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimmyBoomBoom, Jun 5, 2012.

1. TimmyBoomBoom

TimmyBoomBoom

Apr 10, 2007
    I have a 60s Fender Bass V. I bought in 72?, in Detroit from a somewhat shadly music store called Metro Music. They were located on the service drive of the Southfield freeway across from the projects known as Herman Gardens. I recall reading about how James Jamerson briefly played one of these Bass Vs but I've never found any pictures of him doing so. I recall read how that some of Jamerson's P Basses were stolen, but what of the fate of his Bass V? Info is thin on these basses just in general. I've read that just over 1,000 were made. Am I dreaming that this could have been Jamerson's Bass V?

Thanks

Fender1980 likes this.
  2. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Jamerson's P-Bass was stolen in L.A. As far as I'm aware, his Fender Bass V was not stolen.

3. puremusic

puremusic

Nov 1, 2009
    Saginaw, MI
    Jamerson had more than one P Bass the Black Beauty which was a 57 or 59 was the first one stolen. It was black with a maple board if I remember correctly and that one was stolen in Detroit. The Funk Machine was stolen in L.A. and the Jazz Bass V is still in the possession of his family along with others that he had.

4. Fender1980

Fender1980

Aug 11, 2010

Go to 12:40 in this youtube video and you can see Jamerson playing the Fender Bass V for a "performance" of Mother You, Smother You.