1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender BF Bassman cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BZun, Sep 3, 2008.

1. BZun

BZun

Sep 3, 2008
    i got a very very good deal on fender bassman 50 blackface from 66. However i am an "old school" old man and i have no idea what new cab should i buy.
    Its mostly for the recording studio or small jazz combos (not for touring). the original (60´) have 2x15 or 2x12, however i never played with that rig.
    Anyone plays bass with this head? What cab or speakers do you advice me?

thanks

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Any cab should work. It's all a matter of taste and whether the output transformer can handle its impedance. I can't tell you what impedances the Bassman accepts, but generally, any cab will work with it.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    A 1x15 would sound nice, I like the fat tube and a 15 combo alot.

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've used one about that vintage during the late 70s. I paired it with a 1x15 JBL D140 in a custom made cabinet. Okay sound but definitely not a loud amp. If it puts out 50 watts you're lucky. I used it with a quiet trio playing pop and cocktail lounge type music. Very polite stuff. It was okay for that. Not much of an amp for rock. A loud drummer will wipe you out. But you can get a nice vintage sound with it if you don't push it.

Try to get an 8 ohm 1x15 cabinet for it. See if you can find a used Yorkville Sound or a Traynor. They're pretty effcient. Don't worry about power handling of the cabinet. The amp won't put out enough power to hurt most 15" speakers. An Avatar 2x12 might work well too.

Later, when you get something with more power you can still use the speakers.

5. Loudthud

Loudthud

Dec 25, 2007
    Dallas Texas
    Most Bassman's of that era had 4 ohm outputs.

6. BZun

BZun

Sep 3, 2008
    Try to get an 8 ohm 1x15 cabinet for it. See if you can find a used Yorkville Sound or a Traynor. They're pretty effcient. Don't worry about power handling of the cabinet. The amp won't put out enough power to hurt most 15" speakers. An Avatar 2x12 might work well too.

Later, when you get something with more power you can still use the speakers.[/QUOTE]

its 4 ohm total.
    what about oxford or utah speakers from that era (6o') - i have 2 in garage studio, do you think its worthless and make a custom cabinet with this speakers?
    About yorkville Sound speakers, i think it will be difficult to buy it. I am from europe(portugal)...there many things that are uncommon here, but common in US.

thanks for all the replys