1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Blacktop Jazz Bass Custom.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hand of Doom, Feb 15, 2012.

1. MitchC

MitchC

Jan 20, 2010
    Yep... I know I want tortoise, but there are 3 to choose from. Not sure which would look best on my black, blacktop. I like the looks of the pic in PBASSTONE's post. Which one is that ?

2. SBsoundguy

SBsoundguy

Sep 2, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Looks like red tort to me. My options are more limited I have the white chrome pearl blacktop.

3. Mine was made by Jeannie Pickguards. He has a store on eBay. His seller name on eBay is fxguitarman1
    If you search Fender Blacktop Jazz Bass pickguard on eBay you will find him. Or you can search his user name.
    The color of my pickguard is Red Tort. Even if he isn't showing for sale the color you want, he can customize your pickguard any way you want it. You just have to message him through eBay.
    Hope this helps.

4. MitchC

MitchC

Jan 20, 2010
    Thanks PBASSTONE ! I'll contact him.

Hey how do you like that BABICZ bridge ? Any modification to the body have to be done ?

5. pattonpwr

pattonpwr

Nov 5, 2011
    here's my modified blacktop, y changed the electronics, put some schaller tuners and a leo quan bad ass ii bridge. Sounds amazing and looks great. I am now planning of replacing the pickups with 2 seymour duncan spb-3 pickups.

hope you like ;)

securedownload.jpg

securedownload (2).jpg

6. MitchC

MitchC

Jan 20, 2010
    Anyone wanting to sell a set of the stock Blacktop Jazz Bass pickups please PM / email me ? Thanks.

7. SBsoundguy

SBsoundguy

Sep 2, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I put GFS overwound Ps in mine. I love the bridge's tone but I want to get something more traditional for the neck pickup.

The bridge is nice and hot it cuts like a surgeons scalpel while still being really ballsy for a bridge pickup.

8. MitchC

MitchC

Jan 20, 2010
    If I were to put SD SPB-1's in the Jazz...do I get 2 of the same ? 1 for neck and 1 for bridge ?

9. SBsoundguy

SBsoundguy

Sep 2, 2011
    Los Angeles
    You might want a hotter pickup for the bridge. With jazz basses the bridge pickup is normally wound hotter.

10. Babicz bridge bolts right on. No mods. I took it off, sold it on eBay and put a vintage style Fender with the threaded saddles for a more vintage look. I didn't think the Babicz really made all that big of difference in tone, and I just like the vintage look of the old Fender stuff.

11. Since this photo was taken I've upgraded both sets of pickups...

[​IMG]

...to these: Bill Lawrence P-46 ...They are pretty damn cool.
    [​IMG]

12. MitchC

MitchC

Jan 20, 2010
    Thanks PBASSTONE ! I'm pondering 2 of these or 2 of the SD SPB-1's ... can't decide. Did you have to modify the pickup cavities ? Pickguard still fits with no cutting etc ?

13. As far as I remember they slipped right in. If any thing at all I may have had to file the pickguard a tiny bit, but I don't remember it being any big deal.

14. MitchC

MitchC

Jan 20, 2010
    I ended up putting 2 sets of Fender Original Vintage '62 P Bass pickup sets in the Blacktop. MAN, what a great sound. Changed all the pots, put in an orange drop cap, new switchcraft jack. She's ready to go !

15. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
  16. Scungilli

Scungilli Guest

Feb 4, 2014
    I'm thinking 3 ply mint green for my blacktop jazz

17. Fleebag

Fleebag Quacker!

Sep 7, 2013
    Illinois USA
    Pbasstone,
    Gotta hear some clips of that dual p46 setup!
    Thinking of doing the same with a hoppus p I just scored.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 12, 2021