1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Clear Five String Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EtoG, Jul 17, 2012.

1. EtoG

EtoG

Sep 7, 2010
    Flea seems to own a clear Fender Jazz five string (see video below). In the video he says he got it at Guitar Center. Does anyone know anything about it? Could it be legitimately Fender made? Or did Fender never actually make anything like this? I found it really interesting.

Flea - Wall of basses! - YouTube

2. EtoG

EtoG

Sep 7, 2010
    No one?

3. Years ago I worked in a music store and we had an old ampeg lucite bass. Other companies have made them in the past, occasionally I still see one. If you do a search on "lucite bass" you'll probably get some results. I'm not aware of Fender ever making one, but people make them in their garages too. It was never a Fender product though that I'm aware of. Unless they did one for a NAMM show or something.

4. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    'cause it sports 5 in line Wilkinson style compact machineheads
    and those pickups really look like 5er Samarium Cobalt Noiseless

Cheers,
    Wallace

5. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Problem with Luthite basses is the weight. They look cool and sustain forever but do you really want to shoulder a 17 lb bass for 4 full sets at the Springfield Ramada Inn? I can barely handle an alder Jazz for 4 sets at 10 lbs!

6. EtoG

EtoG

Sep 7, 2010
  7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

^THIS^

8. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    I don't think Gruhn is going to be selling something that was done up to be a Fender. Plus, it says on their inventory page that it was built by John Page in the Fender custom shop.

9. EtoG

EtoG

Sep 7, 2010
    Ah. Thanks for the info. Sorry, I didn't investigate the URL.