1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Custom Shop 62 P-Bass Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by andykeating, Nov 22, 2020.

1. andykeating

andykeating

Oct 5, 2016
    Manchester
    Hi all. Thinking of potentially swapping out the pickups in my American Professional P to the 62 Custom Shops, which by all accounts seem to be brilliant.

I don’t massively dislike the V-Mods which come as stock but they can strangely sometimes sound a little bit brittle and hollow, yeah they can boom and the top end is really nice but I’d never describe them as smooth and full-sounding.

Basically looking to canvas opinion from people who have done similar, or have experience with the 62s. Are they worth the swap? Is the increase in quality noticeable? Is the output a similar level?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

2. MovingPitchers

MovingPitchers Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2013
    Vancouver, B.C
    I personally love the Custom Shop '62s. I have no idea why they decided to discontinue those in their Am. Stds but they're absolutely amazing. The Jazz Bass version is soooooo good but the Precision 62 is just...perfect. They're incredibly hard to find and apparently Fender is making new production set to release in Jan 2021.

So much punch and fatness to the tone but the mids/highs remain stable...especially if you pick, it sounds growly and aggressive.

3. Smiddi

Smiddi

Apr 9, 2020
    I was just lurking with a similar problem.
    I have a American Professional Jazz, with v-mod pickups and I also find them a bit odd sounding.
    Some notes (usually on E string) seem loud and dominant whereas notes on the A string as kinda quiet.

I was thinking/looking at putting in Jazz, SD Quarter Pounders; but im reluctant in removing the v-mods.
    I just want a more consistent and aggressive sound from it.
    Thoughts?

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021