1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Custom Shop

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by martybernal, Mar 23, 2010.

1. I know this debate may go on forever, but since I was finally in a position to get one. This custom shop classic IV jazz bass blows away any non-american made fender I owned before. And Squier is a great bang for the buck bass, until you own one of these and have spent time on it. You never really know how truly superior the craftsmenship are on these.

Fender1-1.jpg

Thump on.

Marty

2. cool looking bass,i know what u mean,i dig squiers and mims but once u play an american,any other neck is just sub par

3. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    s.w.e.e.t.

4. serein2j

serein2j

May 25, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I have a same one with 5 string. They sounds a lot better than it looks :D

download?fid=6422269f39aed74ca89726c5718c74e6&name=P1030859.jpg

5. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Beautiful! But why compare it to a Squier?

6. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i know,.. huh,.. weird.

7. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    Picture025.jpg

I got one too. Absolutely remarkable bass! Superior quality in every respect.

8. Part of the debate for years has been why spend the money on the American made fender when many believe and have posted here that the Squier is as good or equal to the American made Fenders. The last time I checked, Squier is still manufactured by Fender.

9. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    So then by that logic we can compare a new Cadillac CTS to a Chevy Aveo since they are made by the same company after all. And then you are not even comparing a standard American made Fender to a Squier you are comparing a handmade custom shop Fender to a Squier, sounds logical to me.:rolleyes:

Now I can compare Johnnie Walker Black Blended (swill) to Talisker 25 Island Single Malt (not swill) since of course again they are the same company after all.

10. It is a spirited debate that goes on here. The point that's being missed here is simple...there is no comparison.

Marty

11. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    There is no comparison between a custom shop bass and a production bass regardless of its origin is the point you fail to miss. A custom shop Fender is superior in quality to a production Fender but IMO not anywhere near enough to warrant the dramatic price difference.

Is a Squier as good as a production Fender, no, but is the Fender so much better that it warrants the dramatic price difference, again no, it is the law of diminishing returns.

12. Bootzilla

Bootzilla

May 4, 2009
    The comparison is easy. One is a lot better and costs a lot more.
    If you have the coin to spare get the expensive one and if not get the cheaper one.

13. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    The American Standards are wonderful. I have yet to play a Custom Shop or even an AV since they're not around. If I felt a Custom Shop which played better, or spoke to me more than what I have, I'd be blown away.

14. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    Or if you are like me you can have the money and yet have no desire to ever spend that much on a bass.

15. Bootzilla

Bootzilla

May 4, 2009
    Yes but when I said money to spare I meant money to pare on a bass. And of course the particular bass might not be your cup of tea in which case you look at something else. I should have put in the disclaimers :p.

16. +1.

17. That is a killer bass...wow....

18. Yeah your right, the neck on these do have a unique feel, so smooth.

20. ahdunno

ahdunno

Oct 12, 2009
    +1000

I just start playing a few years but I spent a lot of time test driving basses during my lunch break. My guitar teacher hooked me up with one of the sales guys at the store. The sales guy said this was one of his all time favorite bass. You know what, he was right!

For starters, its a beautiful bass and it plays like butter. The sounds is great with the active pick up. I thought my Geddy was smooth but this is 100x more awesome! Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of other basses I wouldn't mind adding to my collection but this is one of my keepers.

Almost everyone who has picked it up said "DAMN!"

It is worth the premium? Well... only you can be the judge. I took it home and never looked back.

Attached Files:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 25, 2020