1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender flats (green wrap)?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Grissle, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Grissle

Grissle

May 17, 2009
    I have these on my P bass and am wondering how they compare with Labella flats or GHS P flats?

2. they are brighter, have more crisp, less thud, less tension. overall good strings. similar to chromes somehow.

3. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I've got those on my P right now and I used to use Chromes exclusively... Although I have no idea what gauge they are, they have considerably more tension. Mine are really old though, so I can't speak on how they sound new but compared to my well worn Chromes, they actually have more thump but a strange top end that I'm not used to hearing.

Its strange to me that my experience with these strings and backup's here are so different - opposite, even. :S

4. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    Do you have any recordings with the flats of your bass handy?possibly DI?

5. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Who, me? Or the OP?

6. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

May 1, 2011
    Fender redid their flats a few years back. The old version were very high tension and thuddy. The newer ones are somewhat similar to chromes. I find them less tense than chromes. Both had green silks

7. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    AHA! That answers a few questions that have been rolling around in my head the last few days as well. Thanks! :D

Mine must be the old ones... Have you an idea about how long ago Fender switched it up?

8. Grissle

Grissle

May 17, 2009
    These are from an 01' MIM Jazz fretless

9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I like the new set.
    Somewhat like Chromes, but less tension.
    Brighter than old fender flats. Ware in nice. well balanced.
    I would use these if i can't get TIJF344-flats.
    Still my favorite.

10. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    +1 (except I don't like TI flats). I actually prefer the newer Fender flats to the older ones. Basically like chromes only cheaper. If you are looking at Chromes I would try the Fender flats first. If you like them you have just saved some $.

But if you really want that tradition flatwound thump, you still have buy LaBella :D

11. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I was I diehard TI fan but I was very glad Fender included the 40-100 gauge as case candy with my new 58 AV Precision. It's like they were made specifically for this bass. Kudos to Fender for including them. Aside from what might have been a keen marketing ploy, I can't think of any other flat that would suit this bass better.

I bought a set of TI's with the intention of throwing them on this bass because of my success with them on P's in the past. On a whim, I took them off and tried the included Fenders. So glad I did. It's all this bass will ever be wearing.

I have to disagree on the D'addario comparisons though. These are much more balanced and lower tension. Plus they are smoother to the touch and don't have that shrill high range/mid scoop I find on the Chromes, IMO.

12. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    Traditional flats sound great on a P-bass.

You'll notice that TI's are called "jazz flats" and show a jazz-type bass on the package? That's because they're designed for a jazz bass tone profile - they're designed to compliment the jazz bass tone.

13. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
  14. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Could be the light gauge you play. I use Fender 9050M (105 to 55) on one bass and Chromes ECB82 (105 to 50) on another and I find they are very, very, close.

15. petrus61

Unfortunately, it seems to me that no matter the gauge on Chromes, the D and G always seem to have too much tension compared to the E and A. I've tried to like them (even the 55-105) but cannot get around the the harsh top end they seem to have to my ear. I know there is a break in phase with all strings, but the cons outweigh the pros with the D'Addarios for me. One thing they all had in common was that it was a constant struggle to hear anything aside from low end and top end. I will always think of them as the flat that almost put me off flats forever (before I had access to other brands and types).

I really like LaBella's, but the E on anything aside from the 105 has always seemed like it did not belong with the rest I the set. I was surprised by the Fenders, especially after hearing all the comparisons to Chromes. D'addario is a great company with great service, but my ears and fingers simply don't get what others can out of them. Silly me for plunking down $65 on a set of strings that now sit in a closet while my bass now sports a $25 set that kills. It's all subjective. If there is a bass that Chromes sound good on, it hasn't been in my stable yet.

16. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Fair enough. What bass did you put the Chromes on? All of my current basses are P basses FWIW.

17. petrus61

I tried Chromes on a slew of basses leading up to when I primarily started using Fender style instruments. After they (light gauge...40-100?) pulled the baseball bat neck on my 50's Classic out of whack, I decided they were no longer worth the trouble. I can understand a mild truss tweak for a heavier gauge, but I went from 45-105 Fender Pure Nickel (the old ones) to the light Chromes and the action shift was way more than I felt was reasonable to have to deal with. I used to go with Chromes because of price so they had their shot on a lot of the basses I've owned.

Ill be honest, the particular incident involving my classic 50's was the nail in the coffin for what was a long stint at trying to like something that just didn't work for me. If I had Talkbass, more money and experience, I could have saved myself a few years of thinking all flats were like that.

18. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You can now get balanced tension/custom sets of Chromes at www.bassstringsonline.com

I'm using a somewhat custom set on my Brubaker Brute 5 string. I have a normal 4 string set with a Super Long B string, because I modded the bass to run the B string through body. mainly because anything over a .120 is a pain to fit in the bridge top loaded.

19. petrus61

Those sound interesting.

20. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    So you are saying overall the Fender flats feel , sound and play as well as the chromes? I'm a big time Chromes player but know the Fender flats are cheaper and a bit easier to find in these parts. I am interested in trying a set. I use 100-45 med I guess...all P basses.
    The old Fender flats were like trying to play steel rods instead of strings..horrible IMO.