Fender flats (green wrap)?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Grissle, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Comparison of chromes, fenders and labella flats.

2. Feel wise, I've found the Chromes to be closer to the old Fenders than the newer ones although the Chromes sound fairly different, IMO. It was rumored that the new Fenders are made to spec by D'Addario, but I don't know if that's ever been proven of not.

3. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Ahhh.....I also heard the same about Ernie Ball flats that even look like chromes with a purple wrap instead of blue.

4. Not really sure. I know there was speculation about the Fenders being re-branded Chromes when Fender changed their recipe, I think largely due to the similarly colored ball ends. I don't know if it was ever confirmed here or not. Even I they are, I feel they are quite different.

LaBella actually makes the Sadowski Black Label flats to spec and they are vastly different from the Deep Talkin' sets I've tried.

5. The guy in charge of Fender's redesign posted here. The newer Fenders are hex core, a big difference that brings them a LOT closer to being Chromes. I think they're a bit different, but personally, I'm hoarding my stash of the old roundcore 9050s!

6. The old Fenders were roundcore? I'm surprised to hear that.

7. Was that way back when they had the give away here? I remember getting a set of the new pure nickels from that.

8. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I could not play the old Fenders but have heard good things about the new ones so I might try them.
    If they are even close to Chromes I am sure I would like them and they are cheaper which is a win.

How do you compare the Sadowski black labels to Chromes or Fenders? I have heard allot of good about them around here also.

9. the song in my signature. it's not DI though but very close. closer to what they sound DI than this imo.

i don't know, when i play DI they sound different. maybe it is his playing or the strings aren't broken in yet. they really need some time to get to the tone. they sound more like the labella strings in the video. much more.
    they are not noisy, they have good lows and a certain crisp. they have a 300hz honk though. you don't hear it DI but when playing with amp on a jazz bass it is noticeable. it cuts through the mix well though.

10. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

May 1, 2011
    FYI, I did a soundclip and unboxing video when I first put these on

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 24, 2021