Fender FSR '75 reissue Jazz Bass date

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KPO2000, Nov 26, 2016.

1. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    IMG_2403.JPG Hi, I just picked up one of these from a local independent shop - ash/maple with aged inlays and seemingly correct sticker and wondered if anyone can tell when this was made by the 5 digit serial number. I can't find info anywhere.

Great bass, btw. Thanks!

Attached Files:

Crusher47 likes this.
  2. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The LE's lack proper dating info. You can either call Fender, or just unbolt the neck and look.

3. KPO2000

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    Thanks, I should have thought of that myself. It was made on Aug 13th but can't make out the year. Maybe 2011 if same as one like it on Reverb now? IMG_2411.JPG IMG_2407.JPG

4. It's not one of the '75 US made Fenders of the old vintage series. These had the period "wrong" headstock decal of a 1978 Jazz Bass just like the japanese version. Your bass is one of the newer AVS '74 Fenders if I'm correct. I would read 8-13 as follows: made in August of the Year 2013.

5. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Chicago Illinois
    Not a AVRI 74.

OP has a bullet truss rod.

6. KPO2000

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    See the writing in the neck pocket, though? Looks like 2011 after August 13. Since this was a special run maybe they were tracking days not years. Don't know. Time to go play.

7. Lovely looking bass though :thumbsup:

8. KPO2000

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
  9. You're corrrect, I was too obsessed with the decal. They needed to sell all the bullet trus rods before inventing the '74... You can still buy some new here in Germany, I would be surprised if it is from 2011. Looks so cool in natural...

10. Maz Jones

Maz Jones

Mar 30, 2017
    I've just bought an identical one and the serial number on mine is 10 before yours :bassist: It's 01069 ! Hell of a coincidence.
    I prefer the last 2 digits on mine :hyper::smug:;)
    It was made in August 2013, as was yours of course. That is definite.
    Cheers,
    Maz.

11. Plucker Tom

Plucker Tom

Dec 29, 2014
    Philly
    whats the pickup spacing..?

12. Wow. So much amberish clearcoat on the frets.

Those Serie was introduced in 2013, I read an 4 (the numbers 3,5,6 would have a curvy stamp).
    btw: who cares? nice bass.

13. Maz Jones

Maz Jones

Mar 30, 2017
    Same as yours buddy. Only the MIJ ones had the back pickup closer to the middle one which was not correct for a '75.

14. John Lemaire

John Lemaire

Aug 28, 2018
    I bought a used Fender FSR American Vintage '75 Jazz Bass in aged natural 2014 and looks identical to the picture's. But has an odd serial number '00800' any idea why? I understand that 350 of these were made and no way it would be a 800 in their run. I ask Fender and their costomer service could not find my serial number and told me that about every limted run has some overage.but, could not find an odd number as mine. has anyone else have a similar number? This is the first time I've posted here on this Site and may have made the mistake of posting to not all members.

15. Look at this:
    SOLD - Fender American FSR 75 Reissue Jazz Bass ABSOLUTELY MINT!
    If I read the serial correctly it is 1125. Maybe some more were built? Or the serial doesn't reflect the number of instruments of this run? Another guy in this thread owned one with the serial 01069. I think they've produced more. The newer '74 reissues - now non longer made - had a 4 bolt neck. So I guess they made a special run, called " '75 in aged natural" to get rid of all the 3 bolt necks left of the older series.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018