Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Geddy Lee tuners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JayAmel, Mar 11, 2006.

1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Hi folks,

I'm looking towards a Geddy Lee Jazz Bass.
    Since I can't try one in real situation (no shop has any around), I read many reviews (including here), and many players seem to complain about the tuners. Though, I'm afraid I did not quite understand what the problem is.

So what's wrong with the tuners ? Are they loose ? Are they unable to keep the bass in tune ? etc.

Many thanks,
    Jay

2. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Oops, sorry, wrong forum........ :bag:

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Yep wrong forum but here's my take.
    They are made out of a different metal than all other Fender tuners, mine have sort of tarnished (only Fender bass I own that have done this). It's like the plating is wearing off and the bass is only a year old! I own MIM basses that have not done this! As far as the bass staying in tune I have no problem with that as the bass stays tuned. It's just the look of the tuners (really vintage looking on a clean bass):meh:

4. jonsmith

jonsmith

Dec 24, 2005
    London, UK
    I have two of these. On one, the tuners felt loose at first, but have stiffened up nicely. Neither bass has actually had tuning stability issues at any time. I have not suffered any tarnish problems either, but I do clean them every time before they go back in the case.

5. JJD

JJD

Dec 13, 2005
    Bergen Co, New Jersey
    Too early for me to tell, I just bought mine Thursday night!!!

One thing I can say though, this bass is definitely worth it! I paid $625 for it, and for that price, you can't go wrong, its quality, sounds great, plays great. If the tuners are an issue, just switch 'em out!

6. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I've had mine for almost 3 years. The tuners kinda feel loose, and rattle when their are no strings attached, but I've never had a tuning problem with it. Just looked at them in the case, no tarnish at all. Nice and shiny!

7. Hemitom

Hemitom

Oct 12, 2005
    BC,Canada
    I've had mine for 2 yrs now and the tuners were loose from the time of purchase.Had a problem keeping the E string in tune so I replaced them with Hipshots...no problems since.:cool:

8. I've had my Geddy for about 5 yrs now, and the tuners have stayed in tune, no problems at all. There is light oxidation/tarnishing of the tuners, but who cares, it sounds and feels great!

9. I thought the tuners felt cheap and they made a slight grinding noise. I replaced them with Hipshots......sweetness.

10. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Yea my tuners are loose. Only when there is close to 0 tension on them.When there's a string on there they're pretty tight. And I never have tuning issues.

11. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I slap the crap out of mine.......no issues.

12. Theodeus

Theodeus

Jan 18, 2004
    Sweden
    It's fine as long as I tune up, but when I tune down it drops a semitone at a time.

Not as handy as it sounds though! ;)

EDIT: Oh! Don't even think about NOT geting one!

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Mine are oxidized pretty badly, They work OK, but the bass seems to need tuning a little more often than my other basses. Not a big enough problem for me to bother changing the tuners, though,

14. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Thank you all for your feedback.
    So nothing to bother about, from what I've read.
    And yes, I may upgrade to other pegs anyway.

Many thanks again,
    Jay

15. StringsOf4

StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    My tuners on my mim p rattle when there are no strings on them. i've tried tightening them, but the screws are tight as can be. I'm thinking they're supposed to be like this so they can function when there is alot of tension on them. i've also noticed mine leaning toward the nut ever so slightly (from the pull of the strings) because i can see space under the rings around the tuners (those inserts in the headstock).

16. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've had mine for over a year now. I changed the stock tuners in about the first month I had it. They felt a little flimsy IMO. I put Hipshot tuners on and that was it. An awesome jazz bass for an excelent price.

17. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    While not an owner (yet) between the reports I've read and the store models I've played the tuners are a bit substandard and usually the only thing keeping the GL from being 100% quality, but I've played much, much worse. They're a bit "gritty" and loose, but hardly beginner bass quality. When I buy one I'd likely replace them with a better drop-in set/Hipshot on the E, but it wouldn't need to be a first day-of-ownership change.

...or first month, for that matter.