1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lexicon, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Lexicon

Lexicon

Feb 24, 2009
    I'm a fairly newb bass player who currently plays an Ibanez SR500 which I actually really love. I like the feel of the neck and general overall feel of the bass. I have, however, been GASing for a P or J bass. I've found a 2008 or so MIM Fender P for $250 in mint condition. Seems like a really good deal and it's fairly local so I'd be able to check it out before buying.

Am I going to be happy with a P neck after playing the Ibanez toothpick sized neck? I have reasonably sized hands so I don't need a skinny neck per se but will the thicker P neck be a big transition? I've played some in local stores and it seemed like the overall setup was more of an issue that the neck size. The Js I've tried were pretty comfortable too but, once again, the setups weren't stellar.

I'm more inclined to a P mainly because I saw a Rock Steady band recently that blew my mind and the P the bass player was using sounded deeper and fuller than the J the following band's bass player was using. I liked the sounds a lot although he played a lot better than I can hope to play any time soon :)

What do you think?

2. Lexicon

Lexicon

Feb 24, 2009
    I've also found a Squire Vintage Modified P Bass for a paltry $155 used. Would I be better off going in that direction as a start?

3. Won't know for sure until you try it. I like the wider necks myself. I wouldn't give up my P bass if you offered me 10 Ibanez.

4. I have the same SR500 - added a Squier P, then a Fender Deluxe Jazz, then a Fender P - then an Ibanez AEB - then added my VM-Jazz and the last purchase was the VM-Jaguar.

That's three J-necks, two P-necks, the SR500 and then the oddball in-between 'em all AEB neck.

All different but I have no problems with moving from one to another even in the same gig/jam.

I don't see/feel any problems since my hands bend and the fingers are flexible.

5. Swampman Cory

Swampman Cory

Nov 9, 2009
    Los Angeles / ex-Michigan
    Endorsing Artist: Reunion Blues, 64 Audio, Mesa Engineering
    Unless this p-bass has a ton of mojo, I really would recommend not buying another bass yet and saving the money so you'll be able to treat yourself to a nicer bass in the future.

6. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Oct 10, 2008
    Canada eh
    My first bass was an SR. Second was a P. Liked the P neck better. Don't let neck size worry you too much.

I have quite big hands and find that I prefer bigger necks but I don't really get bothered playing Ibbys or Jazz basses.

Now if you want to talk to people uptight about neck sizes and nut widths, go on an Acoustic guitar forum.......

That seems like a really good price for a minty MIM P. It's not gonna sound much like your SR but hey, it's a great tone. If my L2000 didn't cop such a good P tone I would get another one.

7. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    I just got an SR after playing a J for 2 years. Transition was smooth, same as going back to the J.

8. I suggest giving a P and a Jazz some extended trial playing time, and A/Bing them as much as possible. Lots of music stores have a semi-private room for this sort of thing.
    I believe the Jazz would feel more natural to you if you've been playing the Ibanez for a while.

It's funny how a minute difference becomes magnified when doing real-world comparisons. For example, I've played Js & Ps all my life but recently I took my '64 Precision to a gig after a year steady on my Jazz. Took three whole sets before I got comfortable with that neck again ! :meh:

9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I agree with Swampman Cory. Play them at GC, make sure you like them and save your pennies for a good one.

10. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    There is nothing wrong with either the Fender MIM P-Bass or the Squier VM-P Bass. they are fine instruments and if you like them that is what counts. where the bass was made does not mean it is a better bass.

11. Yup. MIM and Squier (especially the VMs) ARE good basses, and they don't cosrt a mint, but again, as with even more expensive basses, try before you buy.

12. MUSHROOMSeAcOw

MUSHROOMSeAcOw

Aug 1, 2010
    Georgia
    I would go with the Squier, the VM basses are great for the money and very comfy.

13. I would keep the Ibanez. A J Bass neck will be closer to the Ibanez. The PBass neck is going to feel much bigger and in my opinion, Squiers and the MIM Fenders are garbage.

14. Yup, that's your OPINION, not a fact.

15. bass_snake

bass_snake Banned

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    Get the Squire Vintage Modified. Goodluck!

Fred

16. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    you are sooooo wrong!!!

17. NOT. Obviously, you don't have any.

Lexicon, that is a really good price for the 2008 MIM P-Bass; if it feels good to you, I'd go for it. Saving money for a better one is not useful if you don't have an idea of what you want. You can decide if you like Precision basses by playing this one. If you end up not liking the MIM, you can sell it for very little loss, if any. If you want a better one, you can sell it and get that. What's the risk????

Roger

18. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    The P bass neck will feel different but you can adapt very quickly. Don't use the size of your hands as a excuse. I have students that are 10 yrs. old that play P basses quite well.
    In my opinion, MIM Fenders and late Squiers are very good instruments. Saying they are garbage is very ignorant statement.
    Rocky

19. Lexicon

Lexicon

Feb 24, 2009
    Thanks for all of the comments. I certainly don't need another bass but I was just looking for a second to get different sound and to have one I can use to practice tuned to D standard. The Fact that the Fender has better resale might tip me that way. Thanks everyone!

20. Again I don't get it - what's with the 'resale' thing? If that's the reason for buying one bass over another then something's wrong.

I buy a bass because I want to own it - not parlay it into money later on.