1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender ID help needed.......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigBud, Oct 22, 2010.

1. BigBud

BigBud

Dec 22, 2007
    Hello guys! I'm looking at a Fender bass 5 string that has a non-traditional headstock.....sort of a mix between an Ibanez and Hofner Beatle bass shape. I have found pics of this shaped headstock as a Squire, But this headstock decal is angled and reads only Fender. Did Fender put out a 5 with the Squire shaped headstock? Pickups are in a JJ configuration. Color is a dull yellow burst, darkended at edges. Sorry, no other info avail. I'd have it down if I could get the serial #, but don't......Thanks for any help, Bud

2. MB-5?
    [​IMG]

I vaguely recall seeing this shape as a *Fender* labelled bass, as opposed to the Squier pictured.

3. +1 on the description sounding like an MB-5. I really liked my 3-tone SB when I had it. It was a Made in Japan Fender - early '90s. Basswood body, Maple neck, rosewood fretboard, black headstock, sealed tuners.

4. BigBud

BigBud

Dec 22, 2007
    Ah! OK! That IS the headstock I am looking to ID. So I'm thinking that it could indeed be a Japan Fender 5 of the early 90's. Anyone have anything else to add? Thanks so far guys! Bud

5. BigBud

BigBud

Dec 22, 2007
    I got a serial # from the guy........but it only confuses me............... 2838188.......Bud

6. Totally off-topic.....Great name/handle you have there!!

7. BigBud

BigBud

Dec 22, 2007
    Thanks Mills.......I'm Bud......I'm 6'7" tall......thus......BigBud