1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Jaco Pastorius Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassoballs, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Bassoballs

Bassoballs

Nov 14, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    I had the opportunity to play a new Jaco fretless recently and really liked it. Does anyone know if these have a nitrocellulose or poly finish?

2. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
  3. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't iknow about the new ones, but I have a 2000 Fender "Jaco Tribute" Jazz Bass and it has a nitrocellulose finish.

4. RRJackson

RRJackson Commercial User

Apr 23, 2011
    Bradenton, FL
    Owner of Fool Audio Research
    Has anyone played the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass Fretless? Cause that plastic "Ebonol" fretboard sounds a LOT like an epoxied fretboard to me. Of course the no-pickguard sunburst thing makes me think they're trying for a cheapie Jaco-ish option, but it's funny 'cause the el cheapo sounds more like Jaco's tone than the expensive signature bass does, IMO. YMMV.

-Rob

5. jbailes

jbailes

Apr 5, 2012
    I used to own the Squier vm fretless. In fact, I called it "Jaco Jr". And it was a decent bass for the money, but I had such a hard time with fretless, so I let it go. Sure, there's tons of ways I could've modded it, but those options would have cost 2 to 3 times as much as the bass did. And I just don't see the logic behind doing that.

6. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I like the Nitro finish

7. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    I have one and I call it 'Jaco Jr' (I'm clearly not the only one). It actually sounds great with the SD-designed pick-ups and the neck feels great. Unfortunately, the neck on mine may also be fubared (terrible rattle and splat in places, especially above the octave, despite high-ish action). I haven't taken it in for an adjustment yet. If the neck is toast on mine I'm going to replace it with a Warmoth neck. Regardless, for the money I absolutely dig it.

8. miles'tone

miles'tone

Feb 26, 2008
    Wales, U.K
    The answer to the original question is yes, nitro finish both on the artist model and the custom shop relic.

9. RRJackson

Apr 23, 2011
    Bradenton, FL
    I couldn't really see much that needed modding. The pickups sounded good. I might have put a Badass II bridge on it, but other than that it seemed pretty nice. Particularly for a dirt-cheap bass made out of some kind of New Zealand evergreen with a plastic fretboard. But of course Jaco got his sound by slathering boat epoxy over the fretboard, which essentially made it into a plastic surface, too.

10. Yeah, go for the Squier. It's nice and a lot less.

11. RRJackson

Apr 23, 2011
    Bradenton, FL
    I certainly wasn't knocking the work done on the "official" Jaco basses, but it seems like they focused on building a very nice bass and didn't really focus on what gave Jaco his synth-y sound.

I remember a lot of people grabbing Pedulla basses when the Buzz first came out because it was (as far as I know) the first bass that you could buy off the shelf that had a hard, slick finish on the fretboard that made that sound. This "Ebonol" stuff comes pretty close.

It would be cool if you could order the "Official" Jaco basses with an epoxy job on the fretboard, but there's always Kevin Kaufman. I wonder how many of the signature Fenders have ended up in his shop.

-Rob

12. LaBassGuy

LaBassGuy Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2008

Not to digress, but the Pedulla Buzz and the Jaco tribute fretless bass, are they similar in tone?

13. RRJackson

Apr 23, 2011
    Bradenton, FL
    No, the Pedulla sounds like Jaco's bass. :D

Sorry, had to go with that zinger. Unplugged the Pedulla has that singing Jaco-ish tone, but they use active pickups and so plugged in they sound a little too hi-fi for Jaco, IMO. And they're too expensive to just gut one and install passive electronics.

-Rob

14. mtb777

mtb777 Serving bottom for the Most High.

Apr 1, 2010
    Sunny South Florida
    Kevin Kaufman has a shop and does sound systems up in Lake Worth, Florida and was Jaco's bass tech and did most of his work on his basses. Really nice guy and a whizz for all things bass and sound! I believe he rebuilt the heavily damaged Bass of Doom.

15. jbailes

jbailes

Apr 5, 2012

Aside from some sort of high mass bridge, I'd have put a set of nordstrand NJ4SEs in there. Excellent tone, lower mid boost, highs are cut a tad, but the harmonics ring out nice. Maybe cap it off with some DR nickel low riders. THAT would make it a real Jaco Jr.