1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Japan JB65B-85US Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RandyJoHobbs, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Hey everyone! Thought I'd share a few close up/in detail pics of my new bass, the fender japan jb65-85us.

Specs:

Jb (jazz bass)
    65 (1965 reissue)
    85 (price in yen on release)
    US (USA pickups)

Solid 3 piece alder body, maple neck with rosewood fingerboard, 7.25" radius, chunky C profile. All pretty much period correct besides the tuners, which in 1965 were the lollipop shape.

The wiring job inside functions well, but is soon getting an upgrade with CTS true vintage taper pots, a .47uf ceramic capacitor, switchcraft input jack and a vintage cloth wire.

The neck itself, is hands down the best playing/looking neck that I have ever layed my hands on. It feels absolutely amazing! Has the period correct small frets, and I have to say WOW to the binding and dots.

Fit and finish wise. Superb. The burst is amazing, the alder has a very nice grain and the overall fitment of everything is top notch.

In conclusion, after owning about 3 or 4 MIM basses, a 1978 fernandes P bass, a highway one, an american standard, a 1980 fernandes bomber bass, an orville EB3 and a bunch of squier VM and CV basses, this one blows them all away! The only bass I have personally played that is equal to this 65' reissue is an AV 63' p bass and an original 68' P. Otherwise this bass is all I ever wanted out of a bass, and if you can find one (try ishibashi) do yourself a favour and buy one! I paid AUD$750 for mine ($850 if you include new wiring and DR sunbeams) which is a whole lotta bass for a very reasonable price. Cheers and feel free to share pics of your Jazz bass and details!

Attached Files:

2. MMiller28

MMiller28 Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Do you mean 85,000 yen or was your bass less than a dollar?

Looks great, I want a Japanese Fender someday.

Lownote38 likes this.
  3. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

MIJ FTW!! :woot: drool :thumbsup:

Spectrum and RandyJoHobbs like this.
  4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Looks pristine!

RandyJoHobbs likes this.
  5. Yes ot was 85000 yen when it come out. I wish it was less than a dollar haha

6. It plays even better than it looks!

7. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    About all you would ever want in a J bass.

RandyJoHobbs likes this.
  8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Great post with great pics!

If, like you say, it plays and sounds as good as it looks, that's a keeper.

9. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Yeah, you don't see binding+dots a whole lot. Usually it's dots or binding+inlays. Neat-o-cool! :cool: :thumbsup:

However, if you ever start wishing it had block-inlays, there are some excellent and non-permanent solutions. I'm a big fan of Jockomo's vinyl "inlay" stickers. They look great, hold up well under a lot of use and leave no residue behind when removed. Plus, you can get a customized 12th-fret marker if you want a little more of that personalized touch. But don't just take my word for it…

DSCF0631_zpsnjoqnxpd.jpg

Rezdog likes this.
  10. Kind of similar to the excellent MIJ '65 Reissue of Noel Redding's Jazz, but the Redding has no binding like his original. Both have no Lollipop tuners. What's so hard about producing Lollipop tuners???

11. She is definitely a keeper!