1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fender jazz 5 strings recommendations ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by garagebassman, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Just curious what strings (rounds I'm pretty sure) people have been liking for these basses ?

I've used the taperwound (E & B only) fender set and strung it through the body, but they only come in one gauge so I'm looking at other potential options

edit: specifically a fairly bright , grindy-mid type of funk tone is generally preferred
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  2. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I've had DR Nickel Lo Riders on a FrankenJazz and thought they sounded fantastic. FWIW, Nickel Lo Riders the only string that has sounded fantastic on every bass I've put them on, I love them. Bright but not too bright, great growly mids with a solid low end. They also seem to last a really long time for me (I like when my roundwounds lose their initial zing, so YMMV).

And, most importantly, right on the package, it says "Lo Riders heart heart 2 Funk"! Sounds like just what you're looking for! :D

They're also relatively stiff, so keep that in mind. I like a stiffer feeling string, so they suit me just fine.
    eriky4003 likes this.
  3. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    Fat Beams 130 B sound good.
  4. MarkEO

Jun 16, 2017
    Just fitted Ernie Ball Power Slinky 135 rounds on the Ray 35 and they are very nice. Clearly heavier action but the tone is brilliant and nice even resonance right through to the B. Truss rod needed a tweak with the extra tension but good move I think.
  5. woody357

Jun 17, 2005
    Dunlop super bright stainless steel. Imho they sound as good as DR hi beams last as long but cost $18 at just strings.
  6. MarkEO

Jun 16, 2017
    OK so these are taking a while to get used to, but we are getting there. 2 days ago I was not sure and bought some GHS Boomers in Medium but didn't fit them. Seems like the Power Slinky's are mellowing just a bit (or I'm getting used to it). Its take a little while for the neck to settle down. Loving the vocal power of these strings in any setting. They are probably not for everyone and some persistence is needed to everyone to work together.
  7. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

DR HiBeams for me.
  8. JGbassman

May 31, 2011
    Grindy mids? Either DiAddario ProSteels or Rotosounds

That will get you the tone you look for.