Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Jazz 78/80

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dodgy_ian, Oct 16, 2004.

1. dodgy_ian

dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    So I just got my jazz after a lot of waiting and playing it in the shop and praying it wouldn't be bought and getting the cash together and I feel like I've finally come home! its great, now I just want a little more info on it.

Basically, its one of the jazzes that they made as Fender was being taken over, so it has slightly newer electronics on it and older parts (3bolt neck plate, bullet truss rod) and neck binding, but with dot rather than block inlays. apparantly they are properly rare as only a very small number were made - anyone know where I can find out a bit more info? apparantly they are mentioned in the Fender bass book, but I'm not sure which one as there seem to be a few floating around.

Either way its a beautiful beautiful instrument, great tone, serously slim neck and I'm really chuffed with it. Seriously blows my mates '75 out of the water which I've been using until I got this. Feel v fortunate indeed to be able to have it in my life!!!

Any info would be great to hear it!

cheers all

Dodge

2. dodgy_ian

dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    hmm, well perhaps its when the employees took it over as it points out they only had what was left in stock, which is what they guy said, that they built these basses from what was left over...

anyway, its mentined as a rarity in the fender book apparantly so going to try and get hold of a copy of that..

TBH i'm not bothered what it is as i love the sound and playability, which is what i bought if for, but would just like to be able to tell peeps exactly what it is!!!

dodge

3. dodgy_ian

dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    hmm, the mystery continues!!!

dodge

4. dodgy_ian

dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    the neck serial no is a 1978 one according to website