1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Jazz Bass Elite 5 or Sadowsky MV5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Big_Nate, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Big_Nate

Big_Nate

Oct 30, 2016
    Hello all,

I'm plotting out future plans and have been doing research on these two basses. I've played the Fender Jazz Elite (love it) but never got my hands on a Sadowsky (Columbus Ohio doesn't have boutique bass options). Every time I've heard a Sadowsky played I've loved the tone so much. I love fenders but compared to what I've heard from a Sadowsky it trumps it. Sadowsky's have the exact sound I want. My question is this...Is it worth the extra $800? I can save up some more bucks to get it but without playing it I'll never know exactly what I'm purchasing.

I played a Fender MIM for 10 years and loved it until the bridge got funked up. I'm looking to make a sound investment and want this to be my baby for some years (hopefully the bridge will stay intact).

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If Sadowsky has the exact sound you want, it is worth another $800. Fender Elites are $2,000+ street, and that is too much money to spend on a bass when you really want something else. That makes more sense than buying a Fender and then spending hundreds on the electronics, trying to make it a Sadowsky. On top of that the Sadowsky neck and playability will trump the Fender too.

Ryan L., Ikkir, jimgrinnell and 10 others like this.
  3. Big_Nate

Big_Nate

Oct 30, 2016
    I feel it. I mean ultimately I want an NYC but I'm not ready to spend that much not yet. The Metro line would be perfect for what I'm going for right now. I just need some convincing.

PsyDocHill likes this.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Roger Sadowsky himself says the Metro perform the same as the NYC basses. The NYC basses are just fancier or have fancy chambering to reduce weight. Get the Metro MV5 and be happy.:thumbsup::bassist::hyper:

5. Big_Nate

Big_Nate

Oct 30, 2016
    Have you played one? Is the feel the same as a fender but better?

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have had Sadowskys as loaners twice. They have 19mm spacing at the bridge instead of 18 like a Fender. Sadowskys have extremely comfortable wide, but thin necks that I find very easy to get around on. As much as I love my Lakland DJ5, the Sadowsky a little thinner and faster.

G RICH 5 likes this.
  7. Big_Nate

Big_Nate

Oct 30, 2016
    Thats what I like! My hands are so huge. Sounds like they fit right into it. I've been playing an Ibanez this past year and its holding me down but I need that sound that feel.

Thanks

8. Big_Nate

Big_Nate

Oct 30, 2016
    Also this is just a piece to the puzzle that is my studio. I'm getting a komplete kontrol, maschine, and jam. I want to make beats with my bass included and this bass over my beats just sounds like a masterpiece.

ElMon and Dr. Cheese like this.
  9. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I have played the Metro, and while it is a fine bass, I think you can go either way. The Elites are amazing as well. My guess is that you will still sound a lot like you on either one.

The positive thing about going with the Elite now is that you can also go with an NYC down the line and have two basses that are somewhat different and both really amazing. There might not be any difference with a Metro but it seems that you have it framed as an interim step towards the NYC. You might find yourself pushing toward the NYC sooner than you think if you go for the Metro now.

fender68, Flaky Tuna and Big_Nate like this.
  10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have no problem at all with the Fender Elite. My response was based on the face that the OP said he preferred the sound of Sadowskys whenever he heard them. The Fender does not sound like a Sadowsky. My point was why spend $2K on bass when you like the way other one sounds? Spend $2.5-$3k and get exactly what you want as long as it is affordable.

MSIMSBASS, Radio and BassBuzzRS like this.
  11. Big_Nate

Big_Nate

Oct 30, 2016
    It is affordable but this is my first big invest on a bass and I want as many opinions as possible on the subject. Everything is much appreciated.

12. Big_Nate

Big_Nate

Oct 30, 2016
    I've thought about this and the only thing is I've been playing a fender for awhile. I love it but I'd almost rather get another Fender later on. The only thing keeping me from making a final decision is the fact that I haven't played a Sad. I've read posts on here before and watched vids of people playing and I'm almost sold on the Sad. If I got the Fender it would be joy but somewhat lacking I feel man.

13. Big_Nate

Big_Nate

Oct 30, 2016
    I'm basically looking for a morale boost towards getting the Sad...and if anybody opposes I wanna hear why. This will ultimately sway my decision left or right.

fender68, wmmj and Dr. Cheese like this.
  14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    By tomorrow, some long time Sadowsky owners will post and answer all of your questions. You can also contact Sadowsky yourself. They are friendly. Finally, you go to the Sadowsky shop in NYC and check out their basses. If that is too far, go to Bass Club Chicago or the LowEnd Shop in Tennesse and play one there.

15. Big_Nate

Big_Nate

Oct 30, 2016
    I've plotted on Bass Club Chicago. It's like 5 hours from me and thats nothing (I've driven to NYC).

16. DigitalMan

Nov 30, 2011
    I think there are a few different angles to look at this. You and I are expressing a few of those angles and I think that is constructive. Preferences evolve and some are only known after the fact. If you had an Elite, a Metro, and an NYC which would be the one you would get rid of to reduce the collection down to two? I don't think there is only one answer to that question. It is just an interesting way to look at it if the long term plans might include an NYC.

I think all three basses are worth their resepective prices and owning any of them would be an absolute joy.

17. DigitalMan

Nov 30, 2011
    Chicago would be my choice too. Low End is a risk of being closed if you don't call in advance, although Corner Music in Nashville keeps regular hours and usually has a Metro on hand the check out. In all cases a phone call in advance and Google maps are your friend.

18. After having a Fender Jazz for 25 years, I bought my Metro PJ5 from Roger's shop without ever playing one. I've never regretted it. Since then Iv'e bought a used Sadowsky 4 string and put Sadowsky pups and preamp in my Fender. I realized it was the sound I've been looking for all this time..

Big_Nate likes this.
  19. DigitalMan

Nov 30, 2011
    Totally understood. To answer your original question, it is very much worth the extra money to get the Sadowsky if you feel the same once you have had a chance to play one. Sounds like an awesome bass road trip is about to happen.

DrummerwStrings and Big_Nate like this.
  20. Big_Nate

Big_Nate

Oct 30, 2016
    I think the best option is to get the Sad then the Fender. Then down the line an NYC. But I won't really know until I get to Chicago. The one Ken Smith I played had a thinner neck and I loved it. I played notes I didn't know existed.

Dr. Cheese likes this.