fender jazz question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    ok i can't think of the name of the part but i'll try to explain. the guide that the string passes through between the neck and the head of the guitar.

on my fender it seems like this piece sets the strings a little too high. it's kinda uncomfortable playing on the first frets. anyone tried filing the grooves down? anyone know what i'm talking about?
  2. Sounds like your talking about the nut?

If you have no experience filing nuts, i wouldnt recommend it...

Maybe try adjusting the string height at the bridge to lower the action, see if that helps.
  3. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    yeah i just realized it was called the nut. i read a lot about it on the set up page. how much is a new nut replacement if i screw up. you really don't recommend it? i really want to file it down....everyday i play it and wish my nuts weren't so high.

4. Hehehehe sorry...i found sad humour here. :D

If you want to file it down take it to your local tech...i hear they can be tricky to file if you have no experience.
    Nuts can be pretty cheap...depending on the material you get.
  5. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I would try it if I needed to file the nut. I would want a replacement or two on hand in case I filed too far though. Just get a file set and make sure you are using the right sizes. The only way you can mess up is if you file too much. Nuts are easy to replace.
  6. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    HA-HA-HA.......(I'm sorry):( :)
  7. WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Back when I was about 15 and I got my first stingray, I put the strings the wronge way and the nut broke, I freaked but this guy at a music shop fixed and replaced it for about $15. So I'd bring it to a tech and let them do it for you.
  8. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    They really need to find a new name for nuts. Bass players can't handle this type of innuendo.
  9. LMAO, I've been thinking the same thing.
  10. nuts are cheap. you can get them for a few bucks each most places (as long as its not the brass/ivory/etc type)
  11. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I was also thinking back to the "I busted my nut" thread :p
  12. tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    Might try a lighter set of strings as well.

13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Who needs to go to O.T. lookin' for joke threads? :D

But really, if you can get the right tools, you can make the adjustment yourself without takin' the instrument apart. Just work slowly and patiently to do it right.

If you have any doubts about adjusting your "nut", make an appointment with a tech to do it for you.
  14. drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    It's not that bad filing down a nut. Just go very slowly. Like everybody else said, it's not that expensive to replace it if you mess up.

If you do decide to file the nut, losen the string first, so you can remove it from the notch. Then file and repeat. You don't have to take off all of the strings.
  15. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    There are a couple of things you should keep in mind when filing a nut. First, the slot should not be flat, but should rise with the edge nearest the bridge slightly higher. That gives the string a good point to break on to keep the intonation accurate. Second, ideally only about half the diameter of the string should sit in the groove, half should be above the top of the nut. If the string is too far down in the groove it will bind when tuning. It is actually better to remove the nut and shave down the bottom of it rather than filing the slots. That lowers the overall height of the slots without making them too deep, as filing can do.

I had this problem on a bass a couple of years ago - the string was so high coming off the nut that playing the first fret would cause it to go sharp a little. I had a local guitar repairman fix it (he shaved the bottom of the nut like I mentioned earlier) and it only cost $20 bucks. Well worth the price to know it is done correctly.