1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Jazz Setup Question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ripper1979, Mar 14, 2008.

1. ripper1979

ripper1979

May 17, 2007
    Hello!

I just purchased a Fender Jazz Bass (American) yesterday and I was wondering if I should get it setup. It sounds great and I like the action the reason I am asking is because I tune to C#. I already tuned it down and it still sounds good but I was wondering if my neck can possibly warp from the lower tunning? Thanks!

2. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    tuning that low, you might consider heavier-gauge strings to reduce the flop associated, which would require a setup

if you're still using the stock strings, you've decreased the tension with that tuning and thus decreased the stress on the neck from the strings--as long as the truss rod isn't forcing the neck into a convex bow toward the strings (you know this by the string rattle and buzz against the frets), not much danger of harming your neck

3. ripper1979

ripper1979

May 17, 2007
    Thanks! Another quick question. Is it not a good idea to continually tune from standard tunning to C# and vice versa? I'm in two bands and each tune differently.

4. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    The bow of your neck will change with each tuning, so you may have to set your action very high at the lower tuning to prevent serious buzzing at the higher tuning.

You're tuning the whole instrument down, correct? If not, and you're just dropping your E string to C#, then you should have no problem. If you are tuning every string down a step and a half and then back up, you'll want to consider getting a second bass, or live with what will most likely be an unfriendly high action at one tuning.

5. ripper1979

ripper1979

May 17, 2007
    Yeah I tune every string down or up. The action is fine on both tunings I was just concerned about whether this constant change would warp my neck.

6. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    You could tune to C# and throw a capo on the 3rd fret for the songs in standard tuning... not a very "rock and roll" solution, but it would be less back and forth on the neck. Just a thought.

7. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I doubt it would seriously damage your neck. I can't guarantee it though :)

8. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    The gauges that would get you fairly close to the original tension of the strings on an new USA Jazz (45-65-85-110) when tuned to C are 55-80-110-135. You might be better off buying an inexpensive 5-string bass such as the Squier Deluxe Jazz (active), or buying another 4 string and putting those heavy strings on it.

9. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    That's a pretty damn sturdy neck you got on that thing.