1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender JP 90 club?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Geroi Asfalta, Apr 11, 2012.

Tags:
  1. CCBro

CCBro

Feb 22, 2018
    I dont have much to compare to.
    Closer to Jazz than the P imo.
    My only real comparison is one Squier Jazz for >25yrs+ so thats my "baseline".
    I been off the loop and havent really checked out the pickups much. Should be interesting.

The black on black pickguard makes it a non issue, but I dont see anything wrong with it, Jazz is my fav for style with the chrome plug area its built a little better too than plastic. hmmm maybe a metal custom pickguard, color anaodized...or Harley Chrome on black would be cool.

2. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    I got a triple-thickness Black PG for mine and the jack feels a lot more secure. I thought seriously about getting some other color, but it just looked too good black-on-Black.

3. I am in the initial stages of resolving a VERY noisy bridge pickup problem in a friend's JP-90 (I initially did a complete foil shielding of the bass, but the bridge pickup still squealed and buzzed like a bee on crystal meth). As part of doing the "homework" on the bass for round 2, I obtained a photo-copied user manual from Fender's service department. Once I get the bass back, I'll need to confirm the resistance of the pots and the tone cap value. Does anyone here know why Fender opted (at least on paper) for 500K pots with these single coil pickups (and a 0.068 uF tone cap)? I understand that it could potentially provide less high frequency bleed than 250k (but fow a bass, is that an issue?), but it seems to fly in the face of Fender's (and many other manufacturer's) penchant for 250k pots with single coil PUPs. What have users in this group found to be the factory value used in their basses? While I'll have the bass itself to analyse tomorrow, I'm hoping for a reality check on what the "factory" installed parts are, versus subsequent mods.
    Also for those who might find it useful, I am including the user manual that I was sent.

Attached Files:

4. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    Nice! Thanks.

I had my JP90 open after I bought it, while replacing the PG, and all I think I remember are mini-pots.

5. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    Mine has never been opened since leaving the factory.

6. As they say..."Don't believe everything you read" ("trust, but verify"). I opened up the bass and discovered two "import quality" 250k mini pots and a 0.068 uF mylar cap, not the dual 500k pots shown in the manual.
    The pots were crudely soldered, and the harness (including the pickups) utilized 4 different types of wire.
    None of this is insurmountable, but for a Fender brand instrument, it is disappointing. The owner of the bass wants to opt for dual concentric vol/tone stacked pots and a DiMarzio Model J pickup as the replacement for the noisy factory bridge pickup. It's not a bad sounding or playing bass (using the P bass PUP), but it certainly is not MIA wiring quality.

7. The demons have been exorcised!!!
    I replaced the stock PUP with a DiMarzio Ultra J Bass bridge pickup (hum & noise is GONE!), while keeping the original P-Bass PUP. I replaced the original POS "import" volume & tone controls with a a Bourns 500/500k pan pot feeding an Alpha dual concentric master 250/250k volume/tone (with 0.068uF polystyrene cap) pot, and (at the owner's request) a post-blend pickup selector switch. BTW, the Alpha/Bourns pot selections were dictated by the physical constraints of the control cavity. I had to re-use the old input jack because the cavity would not support a "real" Switchcraft 1/4" jack (even after trimming off a large portion of the phenolic insulator tabs.
    Still, this is an amazing sounding bass now.
    Thanks to the isolation from the slightly offset blend pot and pickup selector switch combo, the owner can "dial in" a "both PUPs" setting that minimizes the volume dip from simply combining both PUPs simultaneously.
    Another happy customer!

amoodymule likes this.
  8. wolfmancharlie

wolfmancharlie

Nov 28, 2009
    well its really cool to see this thread so much larger. i havnt been around much but still love my JP90.
    isnt it nice to have an old vintage Fender ,and not have to sell the farm? mine was one of the first ones made in 90, has a great neck and i love the tone. Enjoy

Picton likes this.
  9. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    Slainte!

I like mine more and more by the day.

10. jameshenry

jameshenry

Jul 22, 2012
    Texas
    GetAttachmentThumbnail_002.jpg
    Here's mine. I really like it a lot. Added the bass line pickups and play thru ampeg usually. Works good.

amoodymule, Picton and fretter like this.
  11. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    Nice bass. I like the perloid pick guard with the chrome knobs.

12. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    Welcome aboard! I continue to love mine. I REALLY debated getting MOTS, too...

You’re hereby officially JP90 club #26.

13. I just bought a JP-90 off Reverb. Very happy with it. Great tone through my Quilter BassBlock 800. Neck is in good shape but has a little fret-buz up the dusty end and the tone control is shot. But my luthier has it in hand and will be all good again in a week or so. Will also be changing out the pickguard for a custom one when I find a design that I like................. stay tuned!!

FENDER JP-90.jpg

amoodymule and fretter like this.
  14. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    Happy NBD. Haven't seen many or any in that color.

TanglefooT1959 likes this.
  15. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    Beautiful! A pearloid PG with chrome knobs would look flash with that color.

You are hereby #27.

Attached Files:

17. New scratch-plate.

Attached Files:

18. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    Wow.

I've got shirts that look like that PG. Looks great with the white.

19. teecap2

teecap2

Nov 12, 2018
    I picked up mine in black last December and love the light weight and great tone.
    I am currently also looking for another one in white.
    I found this thread while searching to see if anyone ever replaced the pick guard on a white JP90 with a full size red one, and found exactly what I had in mind on page 5 of this thread.

73C7DCF2-9203-46BC-AD6F-B869BA1AA580.jpeg

20. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    These basses in general are a statement in simplicity (visually) and black-on-black is max-simplicity and very modern looking. Was the pg originally black?