Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Massive Passive

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Funky-Wunky, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Funky-Wunky

Funky-Wunky

Jun 15, 2004
    Maryland
    Here's my latest brainstorm. I want to find some kind of a Fender bass with a P/J pickup configuration and upgrade the pickups. Something that is passive with a big, fat, and round tone. Obviously if the pickup can supply other attributes such as punchy mids and highs, so much the better. Not to dis active pickups, I just want a good reliable bass that never needs a battery for old school R&B, motown, country. I know some of you all have used different pickups and upgrades. Any advice or suggestions? ;)

2. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Have you tried a search? There are a myriad of threads available for what you are describing: a fender-style bass with P-J pickups. Your question isn't very specific at all, which generally means you'd do best to read up on prior threads, because there's a lot of info here on TB if you can dig through it.

PS I just got a set of used Lindy Fralins in J-J form and they're pretty rockin. Definitely a solid passive pickup, heavy on the vintage vibe, they say

3. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    I'm planning on buying an SX jazz and upgrading the pups... but I don't know to what yet. SX's are very highly recommended around here... check 'em out www.rondomusic.com