Fender MIA Deluxe Jazz & Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Soundchaser11460, May 21, 2005.

1. Hi,I have a two part question.First do either of these basses have S1 switching? Second,why is it sometimes you see these basses with the usual clover style tuners,then other times you see them with the Schaller tuners.HELP PLEASE?????????? :help:
  2. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Wouldn't it make more sense to send these questions directly to Fender? You're more likely to get facts instead of guesses and opinions.
  3. No it wouldn't make more sense to send these questions to Fender.Because there is a vast wealth of experience in this community who help people,not ask stupid questions about questions.
  4. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Fender customer service has always done their best to be helpful to me no matter why I call them. Doesn't matter if I'm asking about a current product or something from years ago.

What has happened when you have called them? Or have you ever called?
  5. No I never tried to call them,do they have a toll free number? I just thought I would throw these questions out there for some community help. :cool:
  6. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    No, it's not toll free but long distance isn't that expensive. I believe the number is 480-596-9690. Been a while since I've called them but the number is on the Fender website somewhere. A lot of the info you're looking for is probably on the website, too.
  7. Thanks r379 i'll give them a try. :hyper:
  8. marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    No S-1 switches on the American Deluxe Series basses. The S-1 are on the current American Series J and P.

As for the tuners, you don't mention what years you are talking about. All current AD basses have the clover-leaf "lightweight" Schaller tuners. Some of the older 5-strings AD's had the "Schaller" key style when the headstock configuration was inline 5. They have gone to cloverleafs for all since they went to the 4+1 configuration.

Fender.com has detailed specs for each axe they currently make (click on model, then on specs link when you are in), and you can go to their support section and see the specs, parts list, exploded parts drawings, etc. for many older model guitars and basses. You can go there before calling, especially if you are talking about older models.

9. As Mark said, the newer ones have a traditional large clover leaf style with the smaller Schaller peg, while the old ones (mostly all 5 in-line on the 5 strings) had a smaller clover leaf.

There are no S-1 switches on the American Deluxes since wiring the pickups in series would cause damage to them in some way. Something about too much amperage flowing into each pickup. Thus, each one has to be wired in parallel, which also explains why the American Deluxe P has the added MM pickup... if you're going to wire it parallel might as well add another pickup.
  10. Thanks marklinca & jenderfazz.You have been very helpful.Joe