1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Modern Player Dimension Bass w/ Triplebucker

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pcake, Dec 31, 2016.

1. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    so am in the only person who liked this bass? the first time i tried it, i thought it sounded great - really great. after reading about how people feel about the triplebucker, it appears that i am one of the few or only people who thought it sounded good.

btw, i also think the bass looks great, particularly the almost black one, and the offset waist made it comfortable to play as i have problems with most long scale basses due to shoulder issues, but this one was a pain free experience.

so does anyone else like the fender modern player dimension bass with the triplebucker or is it just me?

Sartori, Ellery, Linnin and 1 other person like this.
  2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i've never played one and i had to google it and read, but: they look nice and they're affordable. i also have some shoulder stuff going on, so now i'm interested in checking one out given your endorsement.

do you have one, or are you still in the 'checking out' phase? thanks.

3. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    they stopped making this model pretty quickly, but there's one in our local sam ash and a few for sale around the internet here and there. keep in mind that those who love the P bass and J bass sound do not love the triplebucker sound, but for some reason, i really do.

whether it will be good for you depends on a couple things. if weight is the main issue, this is pretty light for a 34" scale bass - lighter than most, but there are probably some ibanez soundgear basses that are as light or lighter. do you find lighter, offset waist basses easier to play? i have found that to be the case with a number of them including my short scale jag. in fact, it was the first 30" scale bass i was able to play after a year or more of playing ibanez mikros.

i almost bought one, but decided to wait after playing one for an extended time to make sure there was no pain and sort of lost track of it. but the other night, when i was really missing a 34" scale bass that didn't hurt, i remembered it because i played one for 30 minutes on two occasions with no issues.

Mosstone likes this.
  4. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Got some love from me. I really liked the MP Dimension triplebucker. Mainly because it didn't sound as Fender-y. I thought it had some really good useable tones. And the one I tried was very light too.

So it goes. It's the old "gimmee the same old - only different" nonsense almost every guitar maker gets hit with whenever they try to innovate.

tattooSAM and pcake like this.
  5. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    @pcake it sounds like this may be a workable solution for you. I know the struggle as I also have shoulder pain and need to be bass-weight conscious. I found 3 Fenders that work for me and it took a long time to find them. Hopefully this will work out for you if you choose to pursue this bass. They do sound good.

pcake likes this.
  6. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    I've never played one but I like it. Damn, it looks nice indeed!

pcake likes this.
  7. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    my husband reminded me that when i first played the modern player dimension, he came into the bass room at wla GC and i said "what is this bass? this is the best sounding fender i've ever played!" i had grabbed it off the wall without even looking at it, and was realizing just how good it sounded to me. i hadn't considered it innovative at the time, but you're right - fender had broken out of their own box with it. that being said, they cancelled it pretty quickly.

Flaked Beans likes this.
  8. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Kudos to your husband! Now get that bass!

9. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    They do that fairly often. Release something innovative and pull it shortly afterwards. I think there are only a few that will buy non-traditional Fenders and that drives this short release schedule. I like their odd balls in addition to their traditional offerings but they really don't have the permission of the market to be much more than traditional. I hope the Dimensions have a nice long shelf life. That's another Fender that is really nice. They really should bring back the Modern Player line as well. They just need to sell more light weight basses.

tattooSAM likes this.
  10. I think the triplebucker idea is under-utilized, it works for the Dimension bass as well as the Ibanez ATK series.

Sartori, themarshall and christle like this.
  11. Mosstone

Mosstone

Jun 20, 2009
    Which Sam Ash did you find that bass at? (I'm in the LA area too). I'd like to try it out.

12. VerryBerry

VerryBerry Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    Well, I am going to like it, as I ordered one sight unseen as there are none left in my city. I snagged one at a good discount from Long & McQuade in another city and I should see it sometime next week. I kind of know what animal it is and am not put off that it is not a P or a J, as I have 7 other basses that cover those territories and some others. 8, if I don't trade one of my lesser basses for it. Still undecided.

Different to see a Fender-branded bass from China, but by all reports, workmanship and finish is very good. Light weight is a bonus!

pcake likes this.
  13. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    torrance. when i was there, it was on the wall with the warwicks.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  14. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Oh, pcake, he's gonna buy that bass!

15. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    that's okay. the one at that sam ash is white - i want the slate one :D

Flaked Beans likes this.
  16. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    They made the Coronado and Starcaster Modern Players in China and my Starcaster just plain kills.
    Great quality, Fender feel. People want something different, but they don't.

pudgychef likes this.
  17. JusttheBassics

JusttheBassics Guest

Jun 23, 2016
    Not to highjack, but while on a weekend vacation in Phoenix, I stopped at Bizarre Guitar and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a Starcaster high on the wall. I played it and immediately knew this would be my next shortscale. I almost bought it, but held off for various reasons. Although on the heavy side, and can only play it seated (I only play seated due to shoulder and neck issues), I found it to be a great player with a lot of useable tones.

That said, I want to thank pcake for her insights on the Dim 3bucker. I, too am pining for a comfortable 34. However, since I'm just up the road from her, I think we're going to be competing for the same gear!

el jeffe bass and pcake like this.
  18. timocharis

timocharis

Oct 29, 2015
    There's a lot to like. I've never played one or fooled with a triplebuck, so I don't really know the sound of three coils at once; I'd assume it's sorta like a PJ with both pickups on? The only thing I'm a bit dubious about is the placement of the pickup. Looks a little too bridgeward maybe.

19. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Their MIC is darn impressive in my opinion...the MP series were well made from.everyone I came across

Fender can't win ..release a signature or special edition P or J and folks blast them for same old/same old...if they do anything different, they get blasted for straying out of their lane....like a Harley situation I imagine

BillMason, Old Blastard and pcake like this.
  20. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    They are pretty interesting and unique and discontinued. So if you want it, snatch it.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    lowdownthump, pcake and 5StringPocket like this.