1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Modern Player Jazz VS Modern Jazz Satin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brockerboy, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Brockerboy

Brockerboy

Nov 15, 2012
    ct
    hey.
    im wondering what's better, the modern player jazz or the modern player jazz satin.. i see that the satin one has like single pole pickups, and has the pickup selector knob... but are the pickups better in the satin one? can someone explain the differences and which pickups are better?

thankss

2. AwesomeWithAQ

AwesomeWithAQ

Nov 25, 2012
    I was just emailing Fender about these basses. The new satin ones have the same pickups, but you can split the coils in various ways with the knobs. The new ones have a high-mass bridge instead of vintage style, and also a different access to the truss rod. I'm not sure the pros and cons of that as I'm waiting for another response from him. You can also get a maple fingerboard instead of just rosewood now.

3. Brockerboy

Brockerboy

Nov 15, 2012
    ct
    thanks! im leanin more towards the satin one

4. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY

5. Brockerboy

Brockerboy

Nov 15, 2012
    ct
    thanks!

6. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    I have the new MP V in the 2T sunburst. I've owned it about 2 weeks now and really enjoy it. Everyone who has seen it really digs the satin finish. The coil splitting is a great option as well as the easy truss rod adjustment. I set mine up with really low action and it plays great. One complaint has been the weight as a lot of these basses come in around the 11.5 lbs range. Mine weighs about 10.5 pounds. I played a 3 hr bar gig on it last weekend and didn't really notice it (and I use one of those narrow, nylon straps) but as usual, YMMV. I think some people would like a different neck shape, but I'm one of those types that doesn't really care so it's not a concern to me. Overall, a great bass for the price so far.

7. Brockerboy

Brockerboy

Nov 15, 2012
    ct
    thanks for the detailed response, i appreciate it!

8. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
  9. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    I have the 1st generation in olympic white. I installed a tusq nut and a babicz bridge! Its a very very nice bass with a broad range of tones! Im sure the satin is very nice as well! You cant beat these basses for the money! I think these mp jazz basses are higher in quality than some fender models costing hundreds of dollars more!

10. jonners98

jonners98

Apr 23, 2013
    I have used both a fair amount, and i own the original model. Both are excellent, but i favour the original because of the nicer gloss finish and lighter weight, however both are fantastic basses :)

11. Brockerboy

Brockerboy

Nov 15, 2012
    ct
    thanks!