1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Modern Player Telecaster Sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Glenstapo, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Glenstapo

Glenstapo

Apr 24, 2009
    I recently developed a crush on this bass in the Butterscotch Blonde flavor. Went down to GC and played it yesterday.

Played fine, but while others have lauded the thick tone, I found the complete absence of high end a deal-breaker. Tried it on three different rigs and there's nothing in the higher spectrum (I own a Charvel P/J Custom and a Ric 4003).

With the basses I have, I don't need it to sound like Chris Squier, but I need something to work with.

So the question is, what's under those PUP plates and is there an easy alternative PUP I can install to put this baby back on the wanted list? Thanks!

Glenn

2. sven kalmar

sven kalmar

Apr 29, 2009
    its propably a extremely high impedence humbucker. i had the squier Tbass. it was nice, could have been a great reggea bass..but its gone..
    might take some adjustments of pickup7string height. kind of easy to blow out amps and speakers with that one..

3. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    there's probably room for split precision p/us under those covers... yet what do you need to do to pry them open, and what would they sound like in those positions? But sound like a fun project if you could afford it - and a nice payoff if it worked out well. FYI, I had this MP Tele bass for a few days then returned it. And I LOVED the way it looked, thought it played well, just simply could not make friends with the sound (and it weighed like 11 pounds).

4. I'm assuming it's the same pup as the VM P tb with 4-conductor wire? Read through Darkstrike's thread "Taming the Beast". I fitted the series/single/para switch to the single neck 'bucker and, in parallel or single mode and the tone up, it's surprisingly normal (and I'm on flats). Fitted to both the bridge and neck, it surely must give you usable alternatives to the thump.

If you don't want holes for the switches, get a couple of pull-knob coil tap pots (single coil sounds much like para on this pup). I got a couple over from China in 20 days for about $5 but not used them yet; they're earmarked for an unbuilt. If it's still then not to your liking, you can return it to stock.

5. Glenstapo

Glenstapo

Apr 24, 2009
    Thanks guys. I didn't buy the bass, put it back on the rack. Surprised they throw two PUPs into the thing for such a uniform, muddy sound.

My crush is fading - spending 600 to have to immediately rip the thing open doesn't appeal.

Maybe I'll grab one of these:

http://mikelull.com/site/instruments/basses/bass-54P.html

6. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    FWIW, this one scratched the same itch for me and only took $299... a really nice player.

[​IMG]

7. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    Your experience kind of sounds like my Gibson SG Bass. The neck pickup is a large humbucker that a lot of people call a mudbucker because it's hard to get the low end out of the bass with a lot of amp eq tweaking.

8. OneAri

OneAri

Jan 1, 2013
    Brighton, UK
    It's a shame as I also see the appeal in the tele:rollno:

take lowbrows advice and go for the squier if you're looking for a workhorse. Alternatively for the same price as the modern player you could pick up something like a used american standard jazz?