1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Mustang??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aviran moyal, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Buy

16 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Not buy

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. aviran moyal

aviran moyal

Aug 11, 2019
    Hey,

I have a yamaha trbx304. And i want to buying new bass:
    Fender Mustang PJ Bass Sonic Blue.
    What do you thing?
    Give me a review please.
    My problem is the yamaha is the long scale, that way i ask about the fender that have short scale and smaller.

2. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    Are you planning on replacing the Yamaha with the Mustang, or will you keep both?

If you’ll be keeping both, go for it.

If you’re looking to replace the Yamaha, just realize that they’re pretty different basses. Like you said, the basic size and scale length are different, but also one is active while the other is passive, the pickups are different, the necks will be different and even the styling. If you want something simpler, more portable and more traditional styled than the Yamaha, and with less of a reach between the frets when playing, then the Mustang could be for you!

3. aviran moyal

aviran moyal

Aug 11, 2019
    @dmt ya I will keep the Yamaha. thank you for your answer.
    and what you recommend to play live in the show?

4. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    What dmt says. They're going to sound and feel very different.
    You'll probably need some eq/fx pedals to get the same kind of oomph from the passive Mustang as you do from the active Yamaha.
    Best if you could try the Mustang out in person to see if it's the right fit for you.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    EatS1stBassist and dmt like this.
  5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Do you think a short-scale will be more comfortable?
    Do you simply want another bass but aren't quite sure what to get?
    If so, what's your price range?

6. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    I couldn’t really say without seeing you at least practicing with your band, first with one bass, then with the other. Then I could say, "I like that one better for you in this band" or maybe "they’re both good, but in different ways".

Anyway, assuming both basses have no problems and both are set up well (neck bow, string height and pickup height all properly adjusted), you could use either one live. So, use whichever one feels best to play and best suits the look and sound of the band.

The trouble comes when one bass suits, for example, the look, but the other bass feels and sounds better, or something like that! But one bass will probably tell you, "I’m the one". You’ll probably have a favorite (though which is your favorite might change later). And it will take some experimenting — try both out and see which works better. Finally, you might find that the Mustang is better for one band, while the Yamaha is better for a different band.

Have fun :)

7. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    Don't know what your budget constraints are, but be aware that there is apparently one more Mustang option coming on the scene:

MADE IN JAPAN HYBRID MUSTANG BASS

jackn1202 and BassmanM like this.
  8. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Mustangs fit some people, and not others. I have huge hands, and skinny necks (it's more the skinnyness than the scale) get in the way of me trying to make music. If your mileage varies, and a short scale with a skinny neck helps you make music, buy it. If not, then it's visual appeal, or sound , or whatever. Only you can really answer this.

9. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    I saw the thread title and felt a compulsion to say, "Ford".

(Or as a shoegaze fan, "Son of Mustang Ford".)

Frank77 likes this.
  10. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    What kind of music are you playing? The old Mustangs (just the split coil pickup) were used live by quite a few people. I use mine for some things and a more aggressive short scaler for others.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Good question. Mustangs are cool basses, and I'm seriously thinking about picking up a JMJ Roadworn Mustang when they start making them in black (the daphne blue is cool but I look so much better with a black Fender :D ). And there's nothing wrong with a little variety in your collection. You have the Yammy which does what it does and is an excellent bass for the price.

However, I have a beef with the P pickups that Fender's been putting in a lot of their basses lately, especially the American Standard/American Professional and below. They just don't sound like they should to me. They sound like they're only trying to make them sound good at the store and impress people who are playing by themselves at home more than players who gig them. But otherwise, I think most of what Fender's making is excellent. Once I replaced the horrid pickup in my AmStd Precision with a Geezer, it came alive.

12. Joe Murray

Joe Murray

May 14, 2008
    Fairfax, VA
    Do you already have the particular bass in mind, because Chicago Music Exchange offers a limited edition model with maple FB, and 3 finish options (Lake Placid Blue, Shell Pink, and Black). I have the black version, and love it! I hope that helps. :hyper:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    PullThePlug likes this.
  13. MustangWally

MustangWally

Feb 5, 2019
    Houston TX
    I love my Mustang PJ in Sonic Blue but as others have said: go play one and see how it works for you.

14. PullThePlug

PullThePlug

Jan 8, 2014
    Sacramento
    Mustang PJs are my favorite. I sold all my other basses because I like them that much. (EDIT: Basses sold were Ibanez SR, full scale fenders, Charvels, Danelectro longhorns, and some others. Mustangs just fit my ergonomic needs perfectly).

Currently have two, one as a main and one as a back up. Colors are Surf Pearl and Capri Orange, and the SHINE!

They actually went with Shell Pink. That's all I wanted before. Take my money, Fender. I don't even care if it's Mustang PJ #3.

Joe Murray likes this.
  15. Synthpunk

Synthpunk Commercial User

Apr 30, 2017
    Im a roadie and i also run a small business in the UK that makes stuff for people- synthpunk industries.
    I just did this to mine... D6D73226-A04C-4AE3-A3A4-F46370FD82B5.jpeg
    i made the pickguard out of dark brown bakelite and then shellaced it.

PullThePlug likes this.