Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Mustang

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Warwick player, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    Got one at last!

Brand new Japanesse re-issue Candy Red with Competition stripe!

So happy more than i ever wanted! :)

Haven't put it down since i got it yesterday! :bassist:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Shwing....wow....she is beeeeuuutiful. Congrats !! Personal question time......how much ( roughly even!).

3. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    cool man! i played one of these for many years,fender's best kept secret.

4. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    I feel i got a good deal!

Off of Tin Pan Alley, they wanted £449, i said whats the best price?

They then did a bit with the calculator, £439. I then said what about a case, i'm not interested unless theres a case (with the tube an all!) so also at that price a i got a very plush fender gig bag, strap 20ft lead and a new set of rotosounds.

Not a bad day i reckon! :smug:

5. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Too right. I know prices are higher in the U K than on this side of the water. Sounds like you did alright!

6. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Could yer please check out the electronics route for us? I heard someone looked in theirs and said it was plywood, so I'm kinda curious about that.

Bass looks sweet though! Those colours really go well. I've always liked those Mustang basses, must make a good wearer of Dark Star pickups too...

Oh yeah, what strings do you have on it?

7. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I have a Japanese Reissue Mustang as well. I must say it is a gem also. As near perfect build quaility as anything I've seen or have owned. It is perfect for my hands and fingers (I have one short finger from a work accident). I am just a hobbyist player, but I have bought and sold about a dozen basses in the past year. And I have done hrs of research and study about different basses which might interest me. I have owned G&l's, Fender USA,SX,Dean. I know these aren't "boutique" basses, which I don't like anyway. But I like the Mustang better than all of em. My personal favorite. If I ever get any competance on the bass I will buy another one!

8. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    I just checked mine and i can say its alder all the way through. I've this heard about this romour before, aparently someone emailed Fender and asked if it was a Alder veiner with plywood inside. Apparently it only looks that way because the router can't take it all in one cut, so its takes layers off.

More about it here.

9. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I love the look of the mustangs... but what about the pickups?! They look kind of weak to me. I've never played one before and I was wondering if they have a lot of punch. They look more like the P bass style.

10. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    Thats what originally put me off, those weenie pickups. But my god do they have punch behind them! They look small but they are mighty! The only way you could find out is by test driving one! ;)

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    SOUNDCLIPS!

12. dveeus1

dveeus1

Jan 7, 2001
    DFW, Texas
    I have been looking for one of those for years.

Where did you purchase it from??

13. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    dveeus1 - I stumbled on it totally by accident in London. I had been wanting one for ages, i wasn't too concerned on the racing stripe, i feel that was a bonus! :smug:

I was just checking out local music shops down the infamous Tin Pan Alley and found a shop which had one in, tried it out and loved it!

There is one UK online store which i think still has them.

Fender Store

14. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    The pickups are fine. Kind of like a mellower P bass. They have enough behind em.

15. dveeus1

dveeus1

Jan 7, 2001
    DFW, Texas
    I have been looking for that exact bass for over 10 years. Including the racing stripe.

thanks for the information

Dre'

16. Swish man. Congrats :)

Edit: Woah...old thread. Could have sworn it was newer... oh well