Fender mustang

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by eots, Jun 29, 2005.

1. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    So I got this basket case Fender Mustang finally put together, sans the Lindy Fralin rewinds that haven't come yet. Anyway, Til the Fender short scale bass strings come in the mail in a few days, I put some regular long scale strings on it. 45-105 gauge. It's too sloppy trying to get it to standard tuning e,a,d,g so I tuned it up a whole step F#,B,E,A. Plays fine now but I would at least like my low E back.
    Do the short scale strings allow standard tuning? :confused: I ordered fender 5250xl's that come in 40-90 gauge. This is my 1st SS bass and kinda bought it as an investment anyway. It's a 66' model.
  2. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    Yes, a short-scale bass is tuned the same as any other.

In order to yield the same pitch, the string must be either thicker or floppier. Short-scale strings are typically thicker.
  3. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I would think that a .090" E string would be even floppier than a .105" E, but you never know until you string the bass up.
  4. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I'm guessing that those are the strings that are intended for that bass. Some brands use a .100 for E. I'll know how it goes in a few days.